s e v e n t e e n

"Just goes to show, I'm better off without you
One for the road and maybe how about you
Leave me alone, 'cause I'm not alone"

For a second I just sat there, frozen, trying to convince myself I wasn't dreaming, but even though my brain wasn't processing what was happening, my lips started to move in perfect sync with hers. She brought her other hand up to to cup my cheek and I placed my hand onto her waist.

I didn't even know why we were kissing, or what the hell was going on, but it was a soft, loving kiss, and it felt so natural somehow. As confused as I was, I was certainly not complaining as it just felt so right.

We pulled apart slowly, staring deep into each others eyes for a second more and then she brought her lips up to my ear.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered softly, sending shivers down my spine as her eyes drifted again forward.

"Tom?" She muttered, a hint of nervousness in her voice as she grabbed my hand and held it tight. I looked over to see a man standing in front of the table with relatively long, flicky, brown hair and strong, forceful eyes.

"Dodie! How are you? Long time no see huh." He said, a fake smile to mask the condescending manner in which he spoke. She squeezed my hand tightly and kept her gaze straight forward - it was pretty obvious she didn't like this guy.

"Hi, what was your name? Tom? I don't know you, but you're clearly making my... uh girlfriend very uncomfortable, so would you mind leaving her alone?" I tried (and probably failed) to sound strong and commanding too, I was getting a bad vibe from this guy, and there was no way I was going to let him near her.

"Girlfriend? Oh, so you weren't just making up all that 'Bisexual' stuff for attention, you were actually gay?" He scoffed. "Anyway, I just came in here to escape the rain, and I saw you, Dodie, what a coincidence huh.  I thought I should let you know that I'm around for a few weeks if you wanna finally come back and have a...proper relationship." He said, glancing over to our intertwined hands, then up to me with distain.

Dodie, who had seemingly been frozen, started to move again. Her grip loosened and she sat up straight again. "Tom. You must be mad if you think that I would ever want to speak to you after the hell that you put me through." She was now angry, fighting back the tears and speaking with a newfound fire "No. Get out. Just-just leave."

"Ok then. Whatever you want. I'll be around." He shrugged nonchalantly, then walked off.

I turned my attention to Dodie, and she just sat there, staring again. She looked broken, and that had broken me too. I pulled her into a tight embrace and she stayed there, limp in my arms. Whoever that guy was must have done something awful! I thought, angry.

After a minute had passed, she moved back, composed herself, and tried to put on a smile. Although her gold-flecked hazel eyes were sad, at least the grin was an attempt to be alright, a beginning to feeling better.

"Tom... He was my ex." She explained, a pained look on her face. "He was also... Abusive. Not physically, but mentally. He would shout at me for the smallest things, create these... these rules that I had to follow, and I still automatically follow. Mistakes led to arguments, and arguments led to... makeup sex... and he would just take my phone and...and replied to worried texts, and tell them it was just a 'tiff'" She looked down, trying to hold back the memories flooding back to her before they all escaped with the tears.

"I'm so sorry." I told her honestly, and then stood up. "Do you want to tell me more as we walk?"

"Sure."

We walked through the cafe, and, not worrying about the rain this time, started on our journey back.

"This is the second time this year he's tried "get back with me", and I'm just so worried he's going to somehow find his way back into my life." She said sadly. I couldn't tell if she was crying or if it was just the rain trickling down her cheeks.

"I promise you I won't let him even get close to you again." I looked her straight in the eye, giving an encouraging smile.

"And that's why I..." She started, and realised that she probably should have explained this first. "Oh my god I am so sorry, I just kissed you without even asking you or getting your permission I just wanted him to see I'm not interested in a relationship with him and then I did that to you I'm so so so-"

"Dodie! Stop!" I cut her off, laughing slightly as we stopped walking and turned to look right at eachother in the abandoned London street. "I didn't mind. I didn't mind at all!"

Suddenly her face relaxed and she looked relieved. "Really?"

"Yes! If I'm being honest, I definitely wouldn't be upset if it happened again." I said shyly, my face blushing pink.

"What?" She replied, surprised.

"Well... I... I like you Dodie, I really like you, and I know... I know you probably don't like me too, but..." I trailed off, my cheeks now the colour of strawberries.

"Yes!" She replied

"Yes?"

"Yes I do like you too!" She said softly. "I... I wanted to tell you, but I was scared. I haven't been in a proper relationship, well, since Tom, and I didn't want to ruin our friendship... I don't know what I would do if I lost you!" She gushed, a blush matching mine.

I looked up, and our eyes met. Slowly, we lent in, our faces getting closer and closer until I could feel her breath fanning across my face. I moved my hand up to her cheek, my fingers just meeting her soft skin as I brushed the hair out of her face, and she shivered slightly under my touch, as the space between us closed.

It was like a scene for a movie; as the treacherous rain poured down around us, her soft lips met mine. She snaked her arms around my waist as we kissed desperately, passionately, as if letting go would mean losing eachother forever.

Reluctantly we pulled away, opening our eyes to see straight into the other as we stood there, just holding eachother.

"Let's get out of this rain!" She whispered softly, reaching up and tucking a loose wisp of hair behind my ear.

I let go of her, and took her hand. "Come over to mine?"

A/n - this chapter is dedicated to armsunfqlding and goblindodie for being the most amazing human beings and loving Dodie as much as I do lol, everyone go and follow them! The end of chapter was sooo cheesy but I love it ngl.
~dawn :)