n i n e t e e n

"I was told this is where I would start loving myself
Flirting's delicious, proved to be beneficial for mental health"

Keep it under the tap for 10 minutes Bels, I'll move the cupcakes to a cooling rack." Dodie told me, rubbing my shoulder quickly before grabbing the oven glove and picking up the now-much-cooler cupcake tray.

"Dodie you are such a mum!" I laughed, watching her struggle to get the cupcakes out of the tin, and ungracefully transferring then to the cooling rack, a few going astray in the process.

"It's just because I care about you," she chuckled with me, and I was glad she was facing away from me because a blush was painted on my cheeks from her words. She walked over to me, hugging me from behind and resting her chin on the top of my head as she turned off the tap.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you!" I laughed as I melted into her embrace.

"Why?" She challenged me, and I could practically see the smirk on her face.

"One time my sister did that and I threw my head back. She ended up biting her tongue pretty hard!" I laughed back at the memory.

Dodie moved her head from on top of mine to my shoulder. "You like this better?" She teased, her mouth so close to my ear her voice sent shockwaves of tingles down my spine.

"Definitely!"

"How does your hand feel then?" She asked, finally getting to what she wanted to ask me in the first place.

"I can't feel the burn at all! In fact, I can't feel any of my fingers at all, they're freezing!" I said sarcastically as gently as I brought my hand away from the smooth flow of water which had sucked all the feeling from my now-red fingertips. I brought them up to Dodie's cheek, gently placing my hand against her soft skin.

"Hey! Your hand is freezing!" She said with a pout as she flinched away from my ice cold fingertips, though her expression quickly turned it into a smile as she grabbed my hand and pressed her hands on each side of mine, absorbing the cold and in turn returning the warmth and the feeling of feeling anything at all.

"How's that?" She asked, concern knit in her brows.

"I can feel my hand again?" I offered and saw the grin return to her face as she let go of my hand, and I let it drop by my side.

"It should be ok now that we've run it under the water, let's get icing the cupcakes then!" We made the icing (and a great mess in the kitchen) and, rather messily, we iced the cupcakes.

Once they were covered in a rainbow of sugary, sickly frosting, with designs which, quite frankly, could make it into any art museum, note the sarcasm, we stepped back to look at our handiwork, giggling at the mess.

"Let's just hope they taste better than they look then!" I joked as I bit into one of the cupcakes. Thankfully, they were warm and soft and tasted of vanilla and chocolate chips! "Mmmmm" we both hummed in delight at the cupcakes taste, which was, decidedly, better than they looked.

"Dodes... I was wondering if you would like to go out and..." I paused, looking down. "Go out and do something tomorrow... together?" I asked shyly, my face turning red.

"Belle, are you... are you asking me on a date?" She questioned, amusement laced through her voice, a mock confused expression on her face as she looked up at me, my face dropping, worrying that maybe she didn't like me like I did or if I'd got it all wrong

"So... You don'-"

"Yes!" She laughed, and I looked up, my expression relaxing, replaced with relief, and I was soon laughing with her. "Yes of course! I saw that they're having a viewing of La La Land at the cinema tomorrow, how does that sound?"

"Perfect!" I said. "I love La La Land so much!"

"I literally have a La La Land shrine in my room." Dodie said, a little embarrassed, and I thought back to when I stayed over, remembering the large poster among other things.

"It is such a great movie!"

"I can't wait!" Dodie giggled and she grabbed my hands and we spun around the kitchen giggling, and then pulled eachother into a hug. We just stood there for a while, holding eachother. I could feel her heartbeat against her chest and it made me smile a little to know it was racing as fast as mine.

Eventually we let go, and begrudgingly started to clear up the mess, although it was a lot more enjoyable tidying up with her than doing it by myself. When we were done, we sat down on the sofas, pretty tired after the earlier events.

"Do you want anything?" I asked Dodie as I grabbed the TV remote and switched it on. "I reckon we could do with some wine, want some?" I said as I flicked through the channels to try and find something interesting to watch, but still settling on the news as we both knew it would just end up as background noise to our chatter.

"You know what, I agree!" She laughed as I pushed myself up and made my way over to the fridge to retrieve the half open bottle of wine from last week. I grabbed two wine glasses from the cupboard being as careful as I could. Which clearly wasn't careful enough as one of the glasses slipped through my fingers, and flew gracefully through the air until it hit the ground and shattered into thousands of tiny sharp shards.

"For fucks sake!" I cursed, but all whilst I was laughing.

"I don't think I've ever met someone as clumsy as you?" Dodie told me as she got up to help and I felt the blood rush to my head and a blush redden my cheeks.

"I-its ok I'll clear it up!" I stuttered over my words as I rushed over to the dustpan and brush to start to sweep away the shards of glass. Something about this girl made me feel something I'd never felt before. It was like cocktail of emotions all mixing together - nervousness, delight, longing, and as much as it scared me, I couldn't get enough.

"No I'll help you, don't worry!" She offered as she grabbed the broom and started sweeping away.

Once the sharp pieces of glass were no longer spread across the floor, Dodie reached up to the cupboard, retrieving one more glass and placing it on the counter carefully, and then reached over to me as I handed her the cool green bottle.

She poured out two generously sized glasses for us before handing one to me and heading back over to the sofas.

I brought the glass up to my lips, allowing the taste of the cool wine to fill my mouth, waiting to embrace the relaxed feelings it would bring with it as we just chatted about nothing and everything.

After two (very large) glasses, I was sure the wine had kicked in, but the world only spun a little when I stood up. I grabbed my phone and started a playlist going, skipping it until the right type of songs started playing before rushing back over to Dodie, skidding on the wooden floor in the process.

"Dance with me!" I laughed as I grabbed her soft hands from her lap and pulled her up to standing with me.

A/n - hello! I hope you enjoyed that chapter! It was a little longer than usual to make up for the gap between the last one. I am finally on Easter holidays so I will hopefully be able to update wayyy more frequently! Like I said before, I'm so so sorry for the lack of updates in the past few weeks, but I can't wait to have the time to write more so keep an eye out for some more chapters!
~dawn