t e n

"Am I allowed to look at her like that?
Could it be wrong, when she's just so nice to look at?

She smells like lemongrass and sleep
She tastes like apple juice and peach
You would find her in a Polaroid picture
And she means everything to me"

As I reluctantly pushed open the door, I immediately noticed how different it was to the club. There was a certain happy buzz, the vibe was cheerful and welcoming, laughter echoing all around. We walked in, and I looked around the room filled with strangers, and then glanced over to Dodie. She shot me a grin, and then took my hand and dragged me over to meet everyone.

After I had been introduced to what felt like hundreds of people, and many names had been forgotten just as quickly as they had been said, a duo approached us.

"Dodie! What's up! Long time no see huh." The girl smiled and pulled her into a tight hug, returned by Dodie.

"Hey Frankie! How are you?" Dodie asked, then turned around and gestured to me. "Also, this is my friend Belle!"

"Nice to meet you Belle! I'm Frankie, and this idiot over here is Connor."

She introduced herself, giving the guy next to her, who was chatting to someone else, a playful punch on the arm. He was about 6 foot, and quite skinny, with chestnut brown curly hair and dark brown eyes, and was wearing ripped black skinny jeans and a top for a band I had never heard of.

"What was that for?" He turned around, pretending to look angry, but it immediately switched to a smile.

"Dodie! How are you?" He asked her with a smile, and then glanced at me. "Also, hi, my name is Connor!"

"Hi! I'm Belle."

"Like the princess?" He asked, laughing.

"Yep, unfortunately." I responded, I got asked that a lot.

"I mean, of all the princesses you could have got named after, she certainly isn't the worst! You do look more like Ariel though" Frankie chipped in, brushing a few long, dark braids out of her face.

"So, are you two dating-" I started, but was interrupted with a steady stream of horrified 'no's from both of them.

"No way!" Frankie laughed. "I have a boyfriend."

"Me too. She's basically my sister," said Connor. "If she was the last person on earth, I still wouldn't get with her." He looked at her with a mocking grin.

"Oh wow, that was harsh." Frankie responded, looking upset for a second before we all burst out laughing.

I'm glad I came to this party! Thank god I agreed to it! I thought to myself happily as I continued chatting to them. Turns out they're in a band called "Now and Never" with one other guy, Connor on drums, Frankie on guitar on vocals.

I felt two gentle taps on my shoulder, and turned around to see Dodie. She had been chatting to someone else, but still had been standing next to me.

"Belle, I'm really sorry, obviously I really don't want to leave you in a room full of strangers, but would it be ok if I went with Dan to the other room?" She gestured to Dan Howell, one of the people who I recognised, " he has something to show me apparently?" She asked, her eyes were apologetic and slightly sad.

"Sure! Go on." I told her, smiling.

"We'll take care of her!" Frankie assured her with a wink.

Dodie's expression softened, and her frown was quickly replaced with a grin. "I'll be back soon!" She told me, looking over her shoulder as she followed Dan, and they weaved through the people to the door across the room.

I watched them, and when I couldn't see her anymore, I turned back to Frankie and Connor.

"Want a drink?" Connor asked, looking at both of us questioningly. Frankie nodded, and I decided I should probably have some fun, what's the worst that could happen?

"You know what, sure!" I told him, trying to sound confident in my decision. He pushed his way through the crowd, and quickly returned with 3 ciders.

As he handed me mine, the cool metal refreshing, as the room was hot and stuffy, body heat surrounding us all. I opened the can with a satisfying pop, and took a sip, letting the bubbles dance in my mouth for a moment, enjoying the taste before I swallowed it and took another.

"So, we've told you half of our life stories, what about you then, Belle?" Frankie asked, taking a large swig from the can before looking at me again.

"It's nowhere near as interesting as yours! I'm currently studying Psychology at uni. I do miss music though... I don't sing much anymore - I used to be in a band with some friends. Maybe I'll join another someday!" I told them.

Connor nodded. "You won't regret it!" He assured me with a smile. "How did you meet Dodie then?"

After taking another sip of my ice-cold cider, I told them everything that had happened in the past two weeks, trying not to skip any details.
"So how did you meet her then?" I asked them.

"We met a few years ago actually! We discovered her music on YouTube, back when we both only had a hundred thousand subs or something, and did a collab, and then everything went from there." Frankie told me, smiling at the thoughts.

"That's so cool! I've got to check out that video." I told her.

"Girl you seem pretty hung up on her, I'm not gonna lie." Frankie stated bluntly, and I choked on the cider I was drinking, I could feel myself going deeper and deeper shades of red.

"What do you mean I-what!" I stuttered on my words trying to defend myself, but it was no use.

Frankie laughed, and looked me straight in the eye. " You so do! I ship it. You should totally ask her out."

My whole body felt like it was on fire. "I don't like her like that!" I lied, " And even if I did, there's no way that she would like me? She's beautiful and talented and sweet and I'm just... me,"

"Trust me, you're overthinking it, just do it!" She said with a wink, and the conversation continued.

The next hour passed really quickly - I felt like I had known them for forever even if we had only been friends for the evening. Maybe I should go to parties more often! I thought happily, until I saw a familiar figure stumble through the doorway, having to lean against the frame to stop herself from falling over, an oblivious smile on her face.

"Dodie?"