e l e v e n

"But it's too late
She believes in fate
She's absolutely smitten
She'll never let you go!"

    "Dodie?" I said, not quite loud enough for anyone else to hear over the music and chatter.
"I'll be back in a second." I mumbled quickly to Frankie and Connor, then pushed my way through the crowds. It felt like with every step I took forward, I got pushed back just as far, but I managed to squeeze through somehow.

"Belle!" Dodie said, far too happily, pulling me into a hug. I could smell the alcohol on her, she had clearly been drinking, so I gently eased her arms off of me.

"You're drunk?" I asked, but it was more of a statement than a question.

"No I'm Dodie." She responded, slurring her words as she stepped forward, letting go of the doorframe, and tripping over thin air. I quickly put my arm around her waist to steady her before she fell flat on her face, and she wrapped hers around mine.

"You're also drunk." I stated, trying not to let my slight amusement show on my face.

"No I'm not!" She said loudly, "Ok, maybe a little, but not really," she giggled.

"How many drinks have you had?" I asked, not able to help the smile curling up the tips of my mouth.

She looked down, and started counting on her fingers, briefly pausing between each one to think about the next drink on the list. When she got to five, I decided that maybe it wasn't the best question.

"Ok maybe I shouldn't have asked that!" I laughed, and moved my arm up so it was around her shoulder. "We're gonna go now, ok?" I told her gently, and started to guide her through all the people over to the door.

"Do we have to?" She asked, but, seeing my nod, she didn't resist as I brought her to the exit.

I spotted that Frankie and Connor were near, so made a quick detour over to them to say goodbye. We all agreed we should meet up soon, and also that taking Dodie home was probably a good idea. After two quick hugs, and promises to meet again, we left the party.

The air was not too cool but was crisp, compared to the stuffy, thick heat inside the house of the party. We wondered down the street slowly, my arm still supporting her incase she stumbled and fell. She was chattering away about everything and everything, and I was quite happy just listening.

"I made out with a reaaally hot girl. Not the best kisser though," she told me, and I laughed. I'm not going to lie, drunk Dodie is quite funny. "You're a lot hotter than her. Probably a better kisser too." She told me sincerely.

"I doubt it!" I told her with a laugh.

"Wanna find out?" She asked with a wink. Wow, drunk Dodie is smooth too.

"I don't think now is a good time?" I offered, I didn't really know how to reply to that one, and we walked down the steep stairs to the station.

"I'm gonna go home now, so I've got to go this way." She gently moved my arm off from around her, but I grabbed her hand.

"Nope, you're coming with me!" I told her with a chuckle. She shot me a slightly pleading look, but I just laughed and dragged her towards the tube line to the station by my house, and, knowing she was fighting a losing battle, she followed me.

As we walked onto the platform, the tube screeched to a halt in front of us, and we walked on. It was empty, noone in sight, and it almost felt wrong for it to be deserted, as it was so busy just a few hours ago. We sat down on two seats opposite the door, and watched as the platform slowly started to move away, the eery silence interrupted by the loud bangs of the train, but then by Dodie.

"Belle?" She grabbed my arm, slight panic in her hazel eyes. I tilted my head slightly, asking her what was up without even saying anything.

"I don't feel too good," she told me, her face nearly as pale as mine. "I think I'm gonna throw up,"

I put my hand on her thigh, running it soothingly. "Just... try not to, if you can. We're really close to my house, it's all gonna be ok, trust me!" I tried to convince her and myself at the same time, and she nodded her head in response, and then grabbed my hand. I squeezed it gently, and gave her a gentle smile, and thankfully the tube skidded to a halt at the station by my house.

As soon as we walked off the train, I ran over to the vending machine on the wall, and bought a bottle of water, then handed it to Dodie, watching her gulp down half the bottle, before securing the cap back on with a click, then looking back over to me again.

With nod and a slight smile, we continued on our journey, travelling through the deserted station, then up to the equally empty street, dimly lit by yellow lamps lining every lane, like beacons guiding us home.

We followed the trail of light until we reached the flat, as as silently as possible, only the slight jangle of the keys breaking the silence of the black night, we crept back in, quiet as possible to not to wake Sophie, only to find her sitting there on the sofa, TV blaring, it's neon colours illuminating the dark room, and hearing the door's quiet creek as it shut, she looked over her shoulder, and greeted us loudly with a grin.

a/n - if anyone gets the references in this chapter, we're now friends lol. That ending was not the best, but I didn't know where to finish this chapter and start the next so I thought here was the most appropriate?
This book now has nearly 1000 views?! Thanks so much everyone who's reading it! It means a lot to know that people are actually liking this! I honestly enjoy writing so much and the fact that it makes other people happy too just makes it even better!
~dawn