13. The reason

Since the day Liam came and picked me up with the high profile, he's been around a lot more. He even brought the twins to pick me up from my last tutorial.

'Mari!' Teddy and Matty screamed on their strollers as Liam pushed them towards me.

' Hello sweethearts,' I kissed them both on the cheeks, 'hello Liam,' I gave him a kiss as well.

'Ready to go home?' Liam asked me.

The weather was very nice, so we had a nice saunter on our way back to the apartment. The twins were so excited to see the autumn leaves fall.

I noticed the UCL students along the road and accommodation area were staring at us, some whispering to each other's ears, some simply glared daggers at me.

Sensing my unease, Liam said, 'should we head to the park before going home?'

The twins must have learnt the word park, that's why they looked extra eager when he sad it.

I smiled and said, 'sure.'

-------------------------------------------------------

The twins were sitting in the pile of fallen leaves, playing with each other, while Liam and I sat on the bench.

' Why are you so perfect, Liam?'

He looked confused and asked,' me? I'm really not that perfect, at least not to my family's standards.'

I could see he's slightly upset, so I asked,' what do you mean?'

' Have you heard of the bank, Scott and Hanks?' 

Duh, who hasn't? It's the biggest bank in the world!

'Don't tell me your family is...'

'Yup, the Scotts,' he said, even did a little sigh.

'Holy shit! You're that rich?' I knew his family was wealthy, but I didn't know it was that level!

He shook his head, still keeping his usual gentle smile, ' I'm not, just my family.'

I tilted my head a bit and asked, 'what... do you mean? Your family's money is basically your money, no?'

' It was like that, if I went and studied economics or business at uni,' he looked more determined now,' but I chose medicine.'

'Is there a reason why you gave up the family business?' I asked him, but I quickly added,' it's fine if you don't wanna tell me.'

He shook his head and said,' it's fine.'

'About four years ago, when Alanna was in second year of uni, she met a guy and fell straight in love,' he explained, ' she even got pregnant after half a year.'

I gasped as he continued,' I was the only one who's excited, everyone else was just worried.'

'About what?'

'The family's reputation, basically,' he balled his fist up,' but Alanna had a miscarriage, and I couldn't do anything.'

I put a hand on his and asked, 'so what happened to the guy?'

'Don't know, but mum and dad must have dealt with him and shipped him off somewhere else in the world.'

I gasped but quickly gave him a hug, 'aww, Liam, it wasn't your fault.'

He nodded but said, 'yeah but I knew I could change more lives by becoming a doctor. You know how many lives and families banks ruined by giving out loans?'

My heart pounded really strongly, 'yeah, I do...'

He looked confused, 'why?'

I sighed and said,' my dad committed suicide because of the amount of debt his company was in, together with my stepmother,' he looked at the twins and I nodded, 'Yup, their mother.'

Liam extended his arm and wrapped it around my waist, 'I know we're gonna be great doctors, your parents will be so proud of you, and so will your brothers. You've done so much for them.'

I smiled and kissed him, 'so will yours, Doctor Scott.'