19. Murderer

' Just be careful don't let the twins go near the radiators,' I told everyone in the house.

The weather had turned so much colder in late January, I knew it's gonna get even colder in February. Oh dear, I needed to get more thicker clothes for the boys.

My phone suddenly rang so I picked it up.

'Hello, is this Miss Mariposa Williams?'

' Yes, that's me.'

' We are calling from the real estate agent, your father's old house has been sold and we would like to know if you want to pack up some of his things before it officially becomes the new owner's property?'

Would there be anything I need though?

'Ok, I'll come over tomorrow.'

'Who's that?' Flynn asked as soon as I hung up.

'It's the real estate agent. She asked me if I wanna get anything from my dad's house before the house gets sold off,' I told him.

' You need help with that?' He asked me.

'Nah, there won't be much to pick up. You just stay and watch the twins for me, won't you?'

-------------------------------------------------------

I ubered to my old house, which was a modern detached house, built when my dad's company took off.

But it no longer felt like home anymore.

'Hello, Miss Williams,' the real estate agent who called me yesterday greeted me, 'are you ready to go?'

'Never been more ready.'

The house was a bit stuffy inside, I guessed the windows weren't open this whole time.

I walked around the house, first to the living room, which was directly connected to an open kitchen, where I used to bake cookies with mum.

Yup, I'll get that photo of dad on the tv shelf.

I walked upstairs to where my old room was. It's been converted and connected to the room next doors, which became a bigger study for my dad.

This must be that woman's idea. I mentally slapped myself, maybe I shouldn't curse my brothers' biological mother like this.

I sighed, I still remembered when I found out my dad was getting married again to Aunt Pandora.

Now she even took away my room.

Oh well, you didn't live with them anymore, so get on with it.

As I walked into the study, piles of documents were stacked on the desk.

I searched if there's anything private that I might want to get rid of myself, and I came across this stack of bank statements.

Shit.

They're all from Scott and Hanks.

Each of the bank statement had an increased number which read 'total loan'.

And the last one was fifteen billion pounds.

I didn't have to study economics to know that's a lot of money.

So dad killed himself because he owed Liam's family so much money.

And they just wouldn't decrease the interest rates, it just added up.

I got all the document and went home.

-------------------------------------------------------

'No way...' Flynn said when I showed him the bank statements.

'But why?' I'm just so confused, 'why would they be so ruthless?'

'Mariposa, don't fall into this psychotic cycle,' Flynn tried to calm me down.

'How could I possibly not? I just found out my boyfriend's family was the reason to my father's death!' I flipped the chair when I stood up, scaring both the twins.

'Hey, I'm sorry,' I said to them, Williams, keep it together!

But no, my dad killed himself because of Liam's family.

And now I'm left on my own to raise two babies.

I'm even going out with the son of a bunch of murderers.

'Mariposa. Mariposa!' I heard Flynn shouting in my face.

'Don't go into depression, Mariposa, I'm sure there's more to the story!'

More to the story? ' What am I supposed to do? I'm not a detective, I'm just a medical student! And now I'm trapped with kids to fucking raise!'

Flynn's face turned pale, I had never seen him backing off from me. Today was the first time.

He put both his hands on my shoulders and said, 'listen to me, Mariposa, I need you to calm d...'

'Calm down? You want me to bloody calm down? We're talking about my father's death here!'

The doorbell suddenly rang, and Liam came in.

Liam Scott.

The little son of the murderers of my father.

'What are you doing here?' I asked him angrily.

He looked confused and smiled at me,' Mariposa, what's wrong?'

He tried to give me a kiss on my forehead but I pushed him away. I might have used a bit too much force because he looked taken aback.

'Hey, butterfly, tell me what's wrong,' he's walking slowly towards me, 'I'll always support you with whatever you wanna do.'

Really? Whatever I wanna do?

'I want to break up with you.'