26. Liam: Trade

So there I was.

Sitting in the living room, facing the whole family, again.

'Liam,' Alanna nudged me with her elbow, 'what have you got to say?'

I felt really uncomfortable.

I mean, I already said everything I had to hat day, why the hell did I have to explain that all over again?

'Mum, Dad, I'm sorry for the rudeness,' I said, even though I wasn't.

Mum smiled and looked from me to dad,' Liam's sorry, Josh.'

My dad was still angry I could see, but when it came to mum, he's always so gentle,' oh I see.'

Mum gave him a face which he said,' so you're sorry.'

'Yes, I am.'

Then there's the awkward silence.

'Do you want to tell them the situation, Liam?' Alanna helped me.

'Oh right, the situation...' I got out my phone and played the screen recording to my parents, they were both shocked.

'Ok, if this wasn't some sort of scam,' dad said,' then we must report it to the police.'

I mentally slammed my head, exactly what I did three days ago, dad, thanks for your help.

Felix joined in,' I'll call commander Hughes and see what he could do.'

But dad said,'I'll do it.'

Mum held my hand and reassured me,'Liam, my dear, Mariposa is going to be fine, trust us.'

I nodded and said,'thank you, mum'

She pointed at dad, who was on his phone now talking to whoever that could help Mariposa, and winked at me.

I sighed and nodded, 'thank you, dad,' I said once he hung up.

He readjusted his tie and cleared his throat,'you're welcome, Liam, I... uh... am sorry that I insulted your friends.'

Mum also said,'yup, we know how important they are to you.'

' Yeah, and trust me, they are amazing people, I...'

Dad cut me off again.

'We have a condition for us helping you,' he said.

Fuck! I knew it!

'And it is?' I tried my best to keep my shit together.

'We want you to go to LSE after this year and work for us,' mum said.

'Why are you constantly trying to get me working for you? Isn't 3 kids out of the 4 working in the family business enough already?'

My dad put a hand on my shoulder, 'Liam, you're born to work in economics and finance.'

I shrugged it off, 'and how are you so sure?'

He looked a bit hurt, 'you're my son, of course I know what you're capable of.'

Mum also chimed in,' yes Liam, you're so bright, by working in the bank, you'll truly get what you're entitled to and deserve. There's no use for us to have the money in our bank accounts when we die, it's all yours and your siblings.'

'Or we could call commander Hughes to call off the action,' dad said.

' No!' I shouted.

'Then what's your decision? ' Dad asked,' first rule in trading, you need to sacrifice for something you desperately want.'

I'll do everything for Mariposa.

'I want my own office,' I replied.