2

Just like it had happened to him countless times over the last week, Alonso had to overcome one surprise after another in Tortuga. That night he was offered to dine alone in the library, so he wouldn't have to share the pirates' table and listen to them telling their mischiefs. And he had his first moment of true solitude ever since he'd tried to assassinate Marina—to end up her guest.

He kept remembering Castillano's words after the girl had set him free. And 'she treated me like royalty' became the recurrent memory since he set foot in her home. Tomasa picked up his dinner service, showed him where he could find liquor and gave him a small bell, so he could call her should he need anything. Alone again, Alonso sat down with a copy of the Quixote in Spanish, that seemed to have been read from cover to cover many times. But his eyes kept escaping out the window, his head full of questions about his situation and his future.

Lost in thought, he also lost track of time, until two soft knocks on the door startled him back to reality. Marina stuck her head in before he stood up.

"May I have a word with you, Captain?"

Alonso invited her into her own library. Tomasa followed her. The housekeeper set the tea service and left, closing the door behind her.

"I hope you feel as comfortable as possible," the girl said, sitting on a couch opposite him.

"I..." Alonso shrugged, grimacing. "I don't know what to say." He pointed at his new clothes, the book, the glass of liquor. "All this is—"

"The least we can do for you, Captain. Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else you may need. And I hope you understand you are free here. Claude will ready horse or coach for you whenever you ask. And you'll have money at your disposal for whatever you may need. You are our guest." Marina looked down with the excuse of pouring herself a tea. "I understand nothing we might do would ease the wound afflicting your heart, and I won't mortify you with my pity, Captain. Our only wish is that you find yourself here as welcome and comfortable as you allow us to make you feel."

He could only nod, as serious as she was. Marina sipped her tea, her eyes moving over Alonso's couch.

"What I need is talking with you about Captain Castillano," she said.

"I'm listening."

"If Dolores' plan works and we're able to get to him—" Marina sighed and met his eyes. "Will he let us rescue him?"

"You think he's too proud to accept your help?" Alonso frowned. "Hernan is proud, not fool, pearl."

"I'm not talking about his pride. But I'm afraid his sense of justice will end up winning over his surviving instinct and he'll refuse to avoid his punishment." Marina sighed again. "Your friend didn't protect me out of pity or sympathy, Captain. He only did it because he felt I was being treated unfairly."

Alonso remembered the conversation he and Castillano had onboard the Trinidad, the night he'd found his friend under the bowsprit. "Did he tell you so?"

"No, but his actions showed it." Marina looked away, thoughtful. "And if I'm not wrong, he'll think it's only right to be punished for helping me. If so, his refusal to be absolved might be the main obstacle for saving his life."

Alonso nodded with a deep breath. Yes, the girl was right. Somehow she'd been able to see right through his friend's heart, recognizing his nature's very core, what made him who he was. "And what will we do if you're right?" he asked, studying her.

Marina shrugged with an impotent grimace. "I have no idea. That's why I'm seeking your advice, Captain. Everything inside me rebels against him paying for what he did with his death. But how would I force him to be something he's not? What right do I have to dragging him out of prison and throwing him into a life that will only make him hate himself? I already ruined his life once. How would I do it again?"

"Even if it means letting him die?"

"You've been with us for a week already, Captain, and I'd bet my legs' healing that not an hour goes by without a bleak regret making you wish you were dead. How long will you take to stop despising yourself for breaking your vows, first by helping your friend, then by accepting our protection? How long will it take you to find again the simple joy of being alive and free, and accept the opportunity of a fresh start?" The girl raised her eyebrows, a spark shimmering in her dark eyes. "And I mean no offense, but you're not the Lion."

Alonso let out a dry, quick chuckle. "I know you don't mean it, pearl, but I'll take it as a compliment," he said. "However, you're right. His hardhead will be our main obstacle. We can only hope that what you both feel will rekindle his will to live." Marina's face made him laugh. "Oh, Holy Mother of Christ! Don't give me that look. You know what I mean."

She frowned, puzzled. "I'm afraid I don't, Captain."

Alonso decided he wouldn't miss that chance to give his gloomy mood a break. "Have you asked yourself how you feel about him? Why are you willing to dare the risks you're about to face for him?"

"I..." Marina looked away again, soul-searching. "I admire him and respect him. I'd put my life in his hands again without hesitation. I want to help him because I don't want him to die, and I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to him, but..." She met his eyes, at a complete loss. "I'm sorry, Captain. I can beat two frigates in an hour without losing a single man. But I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to feelings."

He nodded, smiling. "And that, pearl, is what makes the two of you a perfect match. Keep it in mind when you meet him again, for it may be the key to get him out of this alive."