71

The New Lion managed to dodge the worst of the squall. It was a hard long day for the man, staying sharp and keeping their posts despite their cold soaking clothes and the exhaustion. But finally the brigantine sailed again under a blue sky. From then on, it took them only two days to reach Santiago.

Castillano went straight to Don Carlos' offices, and the man didn't hide his surprise to see him there.

"What are you doing here?" the man asked in his trademark rough way. "You were supposed to be on your honeymoon with your French beauty."

Castillano's face made him grab his cane and limp across his office, to bring a bottle and two glasses to his desk.

"Here, drink and spit it out. What happened?"

"It doesn't matter. I need to ask you a favor. I need to borrow the New Lion for a few weeks. I'll work a whole year for free if that's what it takes, but I need a ship and not as a passenger."

Don Carlos let out a rough laughter. "So the beauty skipped you and you mean to chase her down."

Castillano tried to correct him, but that was a pretty accurate description of the situation, so he just nodded.

Don Carlos studied him for a moment and pointed at the bottle.

"They tell me the New Lion is bruised. So fill those glasses, for you're not going anywhere for a while, until she's better."

Castillano scowled. "But I'm in a hurry!"

Don Carlos laughed again. "That's how I like you, Lion! It's boring, being the only one with a temper around! You won't get far if she sinks past the castle. Give her a few days in the shipyard and then you can take her. And you better bring her back soon and a in one piece."

Castilla snorted and opened the bottle, still grunting under his breath. He could linger there a while longer. Alma and Alonso had left for Tortuga three days earlier, expecting to meet him there, and the last thing he felt like was going home to a deserted house, with only his thoughts to keep him company.

 Alma and Alonso had left for Tortuga three days earlier, expecting to meet him there, and the last thing he felt like was going home to a deserted house, with only his thoughts to keep him company

Rumors of what had happened in Santo Domingo spread on every sail crossing the Caribbean Sea, reaching every corner of the New World in a couple of weeks. But before that, they crossed La Hispaniola and jumped to Tortuga.

Laventry, Harry and some more celebrated the news at Philippe's tavern when a man stormed in from the docks across the street.

"The Lion! The Lion's here!"

Laventry traded a look with his friend and they hurried out. At the docks they saw that it wasn't the original warrior, but the brigantine coming across the bay was named New Lion. The only flag on her masts was white.

"Send word to Alonso. I'll go see what's he doing here," Laventry said to Harry. He turned to the men gathering around him. "Nobody tries anything, for he's under a white flag! I need a boat and oarsmen!"