13

Castillano walked his guest to the entrance hall, where Alma joined them, bringing the general's hat and cloak.

"Say, Alma, do you think we could accommodate a lady and her maid at the upper floor?" Castillano asked, his blue eyes and his fake smile turned to Segovia.

The woman couldn't hide her surprise. The upper floor was where the family's private chambers had been until Doña Isabel had passed. Then, Don Diego had moved his and son's bedrooms to the ground floor and closed the whole upper floor. Ever since, only she and the service maids visited that part of the house, once a month, to air and clean the rooms, where the original furniture still was.

"The upper floor?" she repeated, hesitating. "I guess so, Captain, if you don't mind—"

Segovia cut her off. "When could you have them?" Could it be right tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?"

"The maid can help get the rooms ready."

"That won't be necessary, General," Castillano said. "We'll have everything set tomorrow afternoon, right, Alma?"

"Y-yes, Captain."

"Thank you so much for your hospitality, Captain," Segovia said, shaking Castillano's hand. "I'll send Doña Dolores' luggage in the morning, and bring her myself after lunch."

"My pleasure, General."

Segovia hadn't reached the street yet when Castillano strode across the house, dragging Alma and the soldier behind him.

"A speedwell tea, Alma, please," he grumbled as he stalked toward the side door.

He walked out to the shadowy garden. He heard Garrido behind him and was tempted to punch the man, but kept a grip on himself. The man was only doing his job. However, the soldier stopped at the door, and Castillano knew he wouldn't come any closer as long as he was in sight. So he halted by the well, breathing heavily, and kicked it to vent out.

How was he supposed to spend the next three or four weeks under the same roof with the Pearl of the Caribbean, surrounded by his watchdogs day and night? And surely Segovia too, visiting his friend! For Christ's sake! There was no way it would end well.

Alma brought him the tea. Castillano met her eyes full of questions and he wasn't able to smile. He'd had a chance to tell him about Dolores earlier, but hardly more than a mention in front of Garrido. And now he couldn't risk any explanation for his foul mood either. She pressed his arm with a quick smile and left him alone.

Back to his lodging, Segovia gave his assistant a message for Dolores, with orders to deliver it as soon as the nunnery opened its gates at six

Back to his lodging, Segovia gave his assistant a message for Dolores, with orders to deliver it as soon as the nunnery opened its gates at six. The man followed his instructions to the letter, and despite the early hour, the nuns assessed the note surely was urgent enough to go knock on the guests' door, even if that meant waking them up.

However, Marina opened the door right away, up and awake.

An hour later, Alma headed out as the cart bringing Dolores' chests stopped at the side door. And she found out the luggage wasn't alone. She tried a quick curtsy at Dolores and asked her to wait. Soon Castillano came out himself to welcome his guests.