25

Marina sat up too.

"Your counsel sent you an urgent message," she whispered. "It was delivered to Segovia this afternoon, while he was with Dolores."

Castillano nodded patiently, for her to go on.

Marina went straight to the point. "The church wants you. They say you let a dangerous witch escape. If they jury absolves you, they'll charge you with heresy and deliver you to the Inquisition Tribunal in Mexico."

Castillano held her eyes as if she were speaking in tongues.

Marina rested a hand on his cheek, worried about his lack of reaction. "Did you hear me, Hernan? They want to make it the Inquisition or the noose for you! Your counsel is desperate and Segovia haven't even sent you his letter for you to know about it!"

Castillano frowned and shook his head. "No, it can't be. Why would they consider me an heretic? Because I'm locked up and can't go to church? No, you must be wrong."

"Dolores read your counsel's letter with her own eyes!"

"Segovia showed it to her?"

"No. She had to take it from his coat when he couldn't see her."

"Does she have it?"

"She couldn't steal it!"

Castillano kissed her hand and flashed a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, child. There's nothing to fear. The jury won't deliver me to the black robes."

"The only way not to is to hang you!"

Marina stiffened when he raised his eyebrows, like shrugging. She studied him for a long moment. He held her eyes without a blink.

"You know they cannot find you guilty. Dolores and Laventry made sure the charges didn't hold. And as soon as they set you free..."

"You're getting too ahead of ourselves. Bet Segovia is coming tomorrow to pick Dolores up. Surely he'll bring the letter, and we'll see whatever there is to see.

She frowned. "You don't believe me!"

"Of course I believe you, child, how—"

"Stop calling me that! I'm telling you it's the noose or the rack! And you don't even flinch!"

Castillano sighed, flashing a benevolent smile, like bearing a spoiled brat's tantrum.

Marina didn't slap him not to alert the soldier outside the door. She moved away from him toward the edge of the bed. Castillano took her hand, stopping her.

"Come, stay a while. You don't have to leave so soon."

Marina yanked her hand free angrily. "You're a moron, Hernan Castillano! Could you use your head instead of your crotch?"

"Says who? The child— No, the woman who sneaks into my bed hardly dressed?"

"You're a fool!"

"And now you find out."

Marina stood up and hurried to the window.

Castillano sighed again, watching her sneak out and run to the tamarind tree. He still had a glimpse of her white shirt in the starlight, as she climbed up the tree. He rubbed his face slowly. A moment later he heard her light footsteps on the upper-floor bedroom, right above his head.

 A moment later he heard her light footsteps on the upper-floor bedroom, right above his head