68

Still sitting with his back against the side and his head on his hands, Castillano fought to believe what he'd witnessed. And his shock kept growing. The girl's rage, her evident hate, her cruelty to doom Segovia to that slow, painful death.

He still couldn't believe that was his child.

How come he'd never even suspected her heart hid so much guile, so much violence, so much thirst for revenge? And he'd been eager to spend the rest of his life with somebody like that?

He stood up slowly and went to the bridge.

The Victory and the Phantom were making sail, taking the captured frigate with them. He wondered where they were heading. Marina's last words suggested a plan, whatever it might be. Looked like she still had more hate and violence in store to unleash. And she was leaving with the English boy, who was now commanding a light frigate.

His bewilderment and his commotion combined in anger. He was a day and a half late. That was all! An expectable delay, escorting slow, heavy ships like Don Carlos' merchantmen. But it'd been enough for her to leave with the English boy to hunt war frigates, and to send him to hell without hesitation, and without asking, nor giving, any explanation.

He stood on the bridge, watching the distance grow between the New Lion and the Phantom. Between him and the woman he loved.

No, it couldn't be. There had to be something more to it.

That was not his child.

The Pearl of the Caribbean didn't take pleasure in revenge and cruelty.

Unless something had happened to push her past all her natural limits?

He knew how a person could get there out of bitter experience.

Watching his father die in a duel with a pirate had been enough to change him forever. He'd decided he would devote the rest of his life to exterminate pirates to avenge him. And until he'd found out the truth behind his father's death, he'd celebrated every dead pirate as a personal win, which only fueled his motivation to keep seeking revenge.

And yet, his chest was filled with scruples and reproaches about what he'd seen her do.

All of a sudden he wondered what right did he have to judge her.

Marina didn't need distant memories to resent her enemies. Because she'd suffered their brutality in her own flesh, more than once. Good Lord! He himself had needed weeks to recover from Segovia's sense of fun. And now he regretted such a butcher's death?

After enjoying for years sinking black-flagged ships and killing pirates with his own hands for his personal revenge's sake. After seeing with his own eyes what they'd done to Marina onboard the Trinidad and in Maracaibo. After being left with a broken nose, a couple of missing teeth and aching ribs for weeks after his last conversation with Segovia. After all that, he claimed the right to be shocked because Marina had stabbed the bastard?

Some hypocrisy.

Why would violence and revenge be admissible only under the Burgundy Cross? Why would they be good if the King or God were the excuse, but they were terrible, unforgivable under a different banner or for different reasons?

"Flores!"

His lieutenant ran to the bridge.

Castillano pointed at the Phantom. "Put us about and let's go after them, Flores."

"We're not going to Trujillo?"

Castillano's glare made the man lower his eyes.

"They're heavy and close-hauled to the east. If we keep an east-by-southeast course, we'll keep them in sight. And we'll catch up with them as soon as the wind allows it."