38

In the early afternoon they caught sight of a merchantman sailing from Cuba to Yucatan. Marina herself called it, back to the maintop in breeches and sleeveless-shirt, just like she'd promised herself in Campeche. All eyes turned to her, and the pirates only needed to see her hurry down the ratlines to set in motion. On the bridge with Morris, Dolores frowned, curious.

"We're sacking them," Morris explained, smiling.

"Your pirate life is busy."

"It's the area. All the ships sailing between Havana and Veracruz cross this way."

"I see. Where's Marina going?"

"To change her clothes. Seeing her like this, the Spaniards would think she's but a cabin boy, don't you think? And she also needs weapons."

"Guess I'm supposed to go to the cabin too, right?"

"No need yet. If the Spanish captain is wise, he'll surrender without fighting."

"Oh, all those stories that say the Pearl of the Caribbean always spares those who surrender."

"The stories are true. Or there wouldn't be so many sailors alive to tell them."

Dolores chuckled. For some reason, she liked to hear him like that, taking offense because she doubted his friend.

Marina joined them on the bridge, snorting and fanning her face with her hand. "Please let's get it over with soon. I'm boiling in these clothes," she grumbled, making the other two laugh. "My feet are burning inside the boots."

"You already sound like the old wolf, pearl," said Morris, handing her a telescope.

"God spare us." She took a moment to study the merchantman. "She's heavy. Iron, maybe wine?"

Morris was observing it too through another telescope. "Probably. As long as it isn't cows, like that brigantine near Santa Lucia, remember?"

"Good Lord!" Marina turned to Dolores. "Picture a ship like the Margarita, with the hold full of cows that had been in there for two months. The stench! You could smell it from up here!" Dolores' shocked face showed she understood. "It traumatized me as much as the papagayo to Morris."

He pretended to scratch his hair, grab something and put it on the girl's head. She shook her short hair and patted it while Dolores laughed.

Alonso approached the bridge. Castillano was still near the bow, and they noticed he seemed to be having an argument with Alma. Marina and Dolores traded an ironic look.

Alonso had reached the mizzenmast when the girl leaned over the handrail. "Don't waste your breath trying to convince him, Captain. The merchantman will most likely surrender and there won't be any fight. But with this heat, maybe Alma wants to take a nap in my cabin."

Alonso opened his mouth, closed it and nodded with a tight smile. He spun around and headed back to the bow. Morris and Dolores turned to Marina.

"He doesn't want to go back below deck," she explained.

"You still haven't talked to him," said Morris.

"I've already talked to him too much," Marina replied curtly.

Meanwhile, Castillano saw Alonso coming back and faced Alma again.

"They don't think they'll need to fight," Alonso said, and turned to the woman. "However, Marina says you can get some rest from the heat in her cabin."

"No need, I..." Alma trailed off when Castillano took her hand.

"Alma, you know I love you and how much I value your attentions," he said, trying to sound gentle and persuasive. "But please, give me a break. Leave me here with Luis for a while. I haven't seen him in months."