48

The wind pushed the squall to the northwest, and in the morning, only a light drizzle fell under the cloak of clouds. Marina and Morris lingered in the cabin after breakfast, not feeling at all like going out to that humid cold.

Despite having the Carthage ready to set sail in Cayona, Morris still chose to sail with Marina. And she would never thank him enough.

They'd sailed on both ships once, and they'd agreed that shouting to each other from bridge to bridge and getting together only for dinner would never compare to sailing together. So Morris hadn't even bothered to request a letter of marque on his name, and he still was officially his friend's lieutenant.

Marina started to the galley to get more hot water for their tea when Maxó knocked on the deck door.

"They're asking for you, pearl," he said from outside.

"Who?" asked Morris.

"A Sir Something. The new frigate's captain."

Marina left the kettle on the table and put on a coat. Morris followed her out to go to the bridge. Maxó pointed them to the warship, still cornered between the Phantom and a tall boulder, raising almost ten feet over the water.

A young man Morris' age, in a neat blue coat with a captain's badge, waited by the frigate's starboard gunwale at the waist of his ship. Even from a dozen yards away, Marina noticed the smart look of his dark eyes in a nice face with strong features. The neat ribbon behind his neck wasn't enough to tame his frizzy dark hair.

The girl walked down the gangway in no hurry and rested her arms on the Phantom's gunwale, right in front of him.

"The Pearl of the Caribbean, I assume," the Englishman said. "I'm Sir Robin Dandleton, the Victory's captain."

"Captain," she said with a quick nod.

"First of all, I'd like to apologize to you. I know you had a misunderstanding with one of my officers last night."

"There was no misunderstanding, Captain," she replied sharply. "Your officer called me a whore before a hundred people. And I treated him like he deserved."

The Englishman didn't expect such a blunt answer and hesitated. "I'm so sorry... Miss. There's no excuse for his behavior, and he's already been disciplined."

"By Sir Thomas."

"Yes, the Governor's men got there before I did."

Marina raised her eyebrows, like asking him what else he wanted.

The Englishman tried a tight smile. "I'd need to ask you to move your ship. It's cutting my Victory's way."

"I'm sorry. Most of my crew have the day off and they're ashore. Maybe in the afternoon I have enough men for the maneuver. That's what happens when you occupy somebody else's berthing spot."

"Somebody else's berthing?" The Englishman frowned, almost taking offense. "This is a public port and the Victory sails for King Charles."

"And the Phantom sails for Le Roi Soleil, Captain. If you want to know what I mean, you only need to read the plaque on the boulder behind you."

The Englishman frowned again and glanced at a midshipman by his side. The man ran to the other side of the frigate and hurried back to whisper something in his ear. The captain's dark eyes met Marina's again to find her little smile.

"I apologize again. I wasn't aware the Governor assigned the berthing places personally."

"He doesn't. But Sir Thomas honors me with his friendship, and had that plaque placed as token of it."