67

Marina waited to see Castillano head to the larboard side. Then she sheathed her sword, dropped the other one and approached the prisoners. But she didn't see them. All she could see before her eyes was Morris hanging from those horrible chains in the riving. Covered in blood. Dead.

Had she been alone, the pain burning her heart would have knocked her down. But she was surrounded by men who understood only one language: strength. So she turned her pain into rage to not crumble down and stay on top of the situation. There would be time to cry in vain for leaving Morris alone on the Phantom and go to her stupid date with Castillano, who hadn't even bothered to get there in time.

"On your knees!" she thundered.

Behind her, Castillano led his men back to the New Lion.

The prisoners obeyed, heads down and hands together against their chests. Praying.

Marina closed her fists so tight her knuckles whitened, a gut-born resentment fueling the fire burning her up inside.

Revenge was useless, but those butchers needed to be taught a harsh lesson. And their patrons in the church too. Else, the Caribbean Sea would soon be taken over by ships like the Holly Avenger, scavenging victims among the weak and among those they claimed had offended them, to appease the blood thirst of a whole lineage of inquisitor sailors. Like Spanish conquerors weren't already ruthless enough.

"Who's your captain?" she asked, walking around those who had tortured her men viciously, and in defeat shook and prayed for a mercy they hadn't been willing to grant.

A Spaniard stood up and Marina shook in anger when she faced once more the tall lean figure and the baleful glower of General Segovia.

While the New Lion crew worked to turn away from the Holly Avenger, Castillano recognized the man and ran to the starboard side.

Marina made a sign and two pirates brought Segovia to stand three steps away from her, grabbing his arms.

Castillano held his breath when he saw Marina wielded her misericorde. She rested the sharp blade on Segovia's throat and moved it down to his belly. Segovia held her eyes without a blink. She flashed a crooked smile.

"Velazquez, stop!" Castillano shouted from the New Lion. "For God's sake, don't do it!"

She ignored him, staring into Segovia's eyes.

"You've always liked blood," she said. "So let's see how you like your own."

The misericorde pierced slowly into the man's flesh, making him suffocate a cry and clench his teeth. Marina pulled the blade out and wiped it on his coat. A thread of blood dripped from the wound.

"Tie him to the shrouds, facing his men," Marina ordered.

Castillano watched in utter shock how they forced Segovia to climb to the gunwale and the first ratline. Then they spread his legs and arms apart to tie him to the shrouds. Segovia let out a hoarse cry of pain, as the blood flowing from his wound already wetted his trousers.

"Oh, now you squeal, you inquisition butcher," Marina said mockingly.

Castillano realized she intended to let Segovia hanging there until he bled out, which could take a day or two of agonizing pain. Before the Phantom glided between the New Lion and the Holly Avenger, Castillano loaded a pistol, aimed it and shot. The ball pierced through Segovia's back and chest, killing him instantly.

Marina spun to him, furious. She snatched the musket from a man's hands and rested the barrel on the gunwale, pointing at him. Castillano climbed to the gunwale and stood there, grabbing the rigging, offering her an easy mark.