5

The Carthage moored in Santo Domingo harbor in a cloudy, windy morning, the colors of the Sun King flapping at its stern staff and a white flag atop the mainmast. D'Oregon's secretary went ashore with Morris, who posed as the secretary's secretary. There they showed their documents and another letter from D'Oregon to the port authorities, and were forced to wait for two whole hours to get an answer.

When they were about to leave, a Spanish officer arrived to welcome the hostage. So Morris and the secretary went back to the Carthage.

"They're watching us," said Maxó, observing the dock with a telescope from the Carthage. "I'm counting five lens pointing at us."

"I'll warn the pearl, so she and Doña Dolores remain out of sight," said De Neill.

As soon as he got on the Carthage, Morris hurried to the cabin. Marina and Dolores waited there. They'd chosen cheap dresses, to back their story that they'd been robbed of everything. He hugged the girl until her feet didn't touch the floor.

"Be careful, my pearl. Promise," he said, not willing to let go of her.

"Promise. You look after my Phantom, and bring it to me as soon as you can."

Morris let her step back and turned to Dolores. "You too, ma'am. Please, be careful. And take care of our pearl."

Marina sneaked out of the cabin. Heeding De Neill's warning, she stayed out of sight.

Inside the cabin, Dolores stretched out her hand to shake Morris', smiling.

"You have my word, Mister Van Dort."

"Why don't you call me by my given name?"

"You have a nice last name, sir."

Morris kissed his hand and met her eyes. "Then maybe I can convince you to accept it as yours."

Dolores blushed up to her ears. She lowered her eyes, but Morris grabbed her chin softly. She didn't try to pull away when he kissed her lips.

"Come back safely so I can convince you," Morris whispered.

Marina scowled at her friend when he came out of the cabin with a bright grin, and pinched him to make him get serious. Dolores followed him out a moment later, still blushing.

The pirates knew they had to pretend they didn't know Marina and Dolores. They watched them leave with fake indifference, but all of them murmured a few words of goodbye as they headed to the boat.

"Good luck, pearl."

"Take care, pearl."

"Come back soon, pearl."

The boat was halfway to the dock when Dolores recognized the Spanish officer waiting for her.

"It's a friend of my husband's," she said, pretending to cough to cover her mouth as she spoke.

"Will he be trouble," asked Morris.

She shook her head slightly and grabbed Marina's hand. Marina's part was a terrified, lost girl, and she hoped she'd play it well. For the moment, she kept her head low.

Before reaching the dock, Dolores waved her hand high at the officer. The Spaniard turned to the men waiting with him and nodded. He'd been sent to confirm the identity of the prisoner D'Oregon was so thoughtfully sending them back.

Marina and Dolores left the boat and didn't look back, and Dolores took Marina by the hand to take her toward the men.

"Doña Dolores," said the officer with a quick bow.