50

After a late breakfast, Marina strolled up the steps to the bridge and saw the Jamaicans were still sleeping like logs on their boats.

"Wake them up, Jean," she said to the master gunner, who was still stretching out near the mizzenmast. "Let's go, Briand. Let them catch up."

Jean fired a cannon on deck. The ball whistled between the pataches, scaring the sleeping pirates awake. The Phantom sailed away due north in no hurry.

It was a warm, humid day, with only a soft breeze. Before noon, Marina put on her old hat and signaled Robin to follow her.

"Have you ever been to the top?" she asked, stopping by the mainmast rigging.

Robin shook his head. "What for?"

"Come. The sight is gorgeous from up there." The girl climbed to the gunwale and waited for him to join her. "Hold tight and watch your step. There's no hurry."

She climbed at his pace, so he wouldn't feel awkward at her nimbleness. The lookout helped him to reach the top and left him there with Marina. Robin's eyes widened in amaze when he gazed on the vastness opening around him under the sun. They sat on the platform together, and keeping his eyes on the sea, Robin asked about what he called 'the Armada battle.'

He noticed Marina didn't understand his question. "The rumor in London was that you sank the whole Windward Fleet on your own. I know it's not possible, but something started the gossip."

She smiled and told him about the battle of the Phantom against the two frigates outside the Gulf of Honduras, west from where they were now. Incredulity pushed Robin to ask countless questions, which she answered, until he finally believed her.

By then, the sun was high and beating down on them, and temperature climbed rapidly. They decided to go down and Robin let Marina go ahead down the starboard rigging. She saw Morris and Maxó watching them from the bridge by De Neill, who held the helm. Just like half the crew. Marina swallowed a giggle and nodded. She was halfway to the gunwale, Robin only two steps above, when De Neill made the wheel spin at full speed.

"Helm alee!" shouted Morris on top of his lungs, as the Phantom leaned astarboard in a sharp turn.

Just like it had happened to Marina more than three years earlier, the veering took the Englishman by surprise. He wasn't able to hold on and fell to the water, flapping his arms and legs in the air.

"Alonso was more graceful," Morris said.

"Don't say. This one looks like a beetle on its back," Maxó replied.

Marina hurried down the ratlines, took her hat off and dived head on. Robin floated nearby, trying to overcome the fright while the Phantom circled him. Then he spotted Marina swimming to him, giggling. From the ship, the filibusters shouted fake alarms and jumped to the water with lines.

"Welcome to the Caribbean Sea, Robin," Marina said, floating with him.

He could only laugh with her.

Back to the Phantom, Robin headed below deck to change his soaking clothes. Marina went to the bridge, wringing her shirt and her braid out.

"He took it well," Morris said.

She nodded, smiling. "Better than I expect..." She trailed off, her black eyes turning to the larboard side, frowning slightly.

Morris looked the same way, curious.

Marina opened a telescope and aimed it to the southern horizon. Nothing. Ken's and Marshall's pataches came together, and there was no other sail in sight.