72

Robin didn't stay long and returned to the Victory, moored near the New Lion. He had to set sail in the morning, because Lynch wanted him back as soon as possible, in case the Spaniards retaliated for Santo Domingo. But the night he spent in Cayona gave Cecilia and Dolores time to write long letters to the two friends. Robin would take them with him back to Port Royal, to wait for the Phantom to drop by again.

Cecilia and Alma had dinner alone with Dolores, leaving the maids to serve the men.

"What are we going to do?" asked Alonso over the desserts.

"I'm leaving tomorrow," replied Castillano, adamant.

"Oh, yes, and you'll let your love be your infallible guide to find the pearl in the middle of the sea," said Harry mockingly. "If you leave like this, you'll only miss the Phantom for a few miles till Kingdom comes."

Laventry stopped his glass halfway to his mouth and lowered his head, snorting. "I'll be damned. This reminds me when you two, bloody brats, sailed with the Armada." He turned to Harry. "We need to be organized."

"You mean patrolling like we did with Wan?"

"Do you have a better idea?"

"We could spread the word, or offer a reward. Add a price and you'll have the whole Brethren of the Coast canvassing the Caribbean Sea to the last hidden corner."

"And risk have Charron and his friends find her. The pearl will sink them with a single broadside."

Castillano and Alonso traded a word and let the corsairs discuss alternatives. When they got back to the original idea of gathering captains they could trust to patrol the sea, Alonso cleared his throat to catch their attention.

"Is it possible to acquire an armed ship?" he asked.

"Acquire?" Laventry repeated. "The Cartage is growing seaweeds at the shipyard. If you want a boat, that's the one. I don't think Morris will complain."

"And what about the crew?" asked Castillano. "Could we find men willing to sail under a former captain of the Armada?"

Laventry shook his head. "Forget it. Until the Brethren get used to having you around, any man you recruit will murder you in your sleep."

"I already have a ship and a crew. I was talking about Luis."

"Oh, don't worry about him. He's the Admiral's friend," replied Harry with a wink, and he turned to Alonso. "As long as you don't get picky about discipline and cleaning, you shouldn't fear a mutiny. They bear it from the pearl because sailing on the Phantom under her gives them a name."

"We're going to Lombard's first thing tomorrow, and spread the word in some taverns to find you a decent lot," said Laventry. "You can be underway within the week."

Later, when the corsairs left, Castillano and Alonso lingered in the library. Alonso sipped his cherry wine in no hurry, while Castillano paced up and down like a caged beast.

"Dammit! I need a chart!" he heard his friend grunt.

He finished his wine and crossed the room to the last bookshelf. He came back with a large leather folder full of nautical charts, sat down again and flickered several sheets and handed over a map of the whole Caribbean.

Castillano didn't waste time in admiring what was a work of art rather than a map. He brought it closer to a lamp and used his fingers to measure distances.

"The English boy took three days to come here," he muttered. "And the child had already left Port Royal... Five days south..." He lowered the chart with an overwhelmed sigh. "Look where she must be, Luis. In the middle of the bloody Caribbean Sea! That Jones moron is right, I'll never find her!"

"Maybe you should wait so we can leave together."

Castillano shook his head. "No, Luis. I've already wasted too much time and I've already made too many mistakes. I have to find her. But it must be me who does it, you understand?"

"To prove your love is the infallible guide Harry Jones was mocking?"

"To keep others from telling her I'm looking for her too, so she can't avoid me."

"What didn't you tell me, Hernan? What else happened on the Holly Avenger?"

Castillano dropped himself on an armchair opposite his friend and rested his head in his hand. "That I was the same old damned idiot and I let her go. And when I tried to make it right, I wasn't able to catch up. Actually, I've earned it if she doesn't look at me again."

"Come, don't be so dramatic. If her best friend is fighting for his life, Marina needs you more than ever."

"I don't keep such high hopes, but I want to be the one to find her."

The next morning, when Laventry went to the docks to meet with Alonso, he noticed right away the New Lion was gone.

"What the hell? Where's that blockhead you have for a friend?"

"He left with the morning tide," Alonso replied, and winked at him. "And with his love as his infallible guide."

Laventry laughed heartedly. "Aren't you complete fools, you masters and commanders! Come, and pray that old pirate hasn't sold the Cartage already."

Morris opened his good eye and remained still, appreciating that the pain that had tortured for weeks had receded

Morris opened his good eye and remained still, appreciating that the pain that had tortured for weeks had receded. He was naked between clean sheets as usual, on the bed tied in Marina's corner of the cabin. Also as usual, the fresh feeling in his throat told him that Marina had been dripping fruit juice in his mouth while he was out.

The light coming from the windows showed it was a bright day outside. But he had no way to know what time it was, or what day, or where. He only knew they were still sailing, like his friend promised.

The trapdoor opened, and Marina was about to drop the lemonade jug she carried when she saw he was awake. She landed it on the table and sprinted to the bed.

"Morris!" she cried, grinning.

He found out he was able to smile back and moved a hand she hurried to take.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, sitting on a cushion on the floor, right by the bed.

Morris nodded slightly. Speaking exhausted him, but it didn't matter, because Marina always managed to understand him.

She saw him touch one of the scars across his chest. "Bones removed the stitches yesterday. Hope Dolores doesn't mind now your skin feels like thick brocade."

Morris raised his eyebrows, like every time she mentioned his wife. He took his time to breathe several times and tried his voice, which was never louder than a hoarse whisper.

"How... am I?"

Marina's smile lost most of its glee. She'd feared that moment, and her heart sunk because it had come.