49

In the afternoon, a messenger for the Governor showed up at the Phantom and delivered a note from Lynch to Marina. She read it and handed it over to Morris, because she didn't want to laugh alone.

The clouds opened at sunset, and the wind promised a clear morning. Marina sent Maxó and De Neill to find the English privateers and agree on which tide they'd set sail if the weather held. That night, she allowed the whole crew to go ashore, but she warned them that they would need to be sober and in shape to sail by noon.

The next morning, while the pirates cleaned the ship and restocked their hold, they saw a shallop rowing from the fort, with military oarsmen.

"Are we waiting for somebody?" asked Maxó, pointing at it.

"There comes our passenger," Marina said, biting her apple.

"Do the honors, old wolf," said Morris.

Maxó looked again and frowned. "You want me to welcome the Governor?"

The two friends turned around, surprised, and saw the pirate was right. A few minutes later, Sir Thomas Lynch boarded the Phantom. Marina shook his hand with an embarrassed smile.

"Forgive my looks, Sir Thomas! I wasn't expecting you!"

"Never mind, my dear pearl. Your smile is the best garment," the Governor replied warmly. "Mister Van Dort, always a pleasure to see you."

"And you, Sir Thomas."

The three of them turned to the ladder Sir Dandleton climbed, wearing an impeccable uniform. Behind him, two soldiers struggled with his luggage chest.

"I'm leaving you in good hands, Robin," the Governor said. "The pearl and Mister Van Dort can answer all your questions before taking your new office." He sighed. "And you'll sail on one of the best ships in the whole Caribbean."

"You know you're welcome to join us whenever you want, Sir Thomas," Morris said.

"First I need to get a few days off. And then I'll teach you children to sail."

Marina and Morris chuckled with him, shook his hand again and remained by the gunwale, watching him leave. The young Englishman waited a few steps away, moving his curious eyes around. The pirates had paused their chores to watch him.

"Gentlemen?" said Marina, raising her voice only a little, and that only word was enough to set the pirates back to work. "Maxó, please, show Robin where he's sleeping."

Maxó waved the Englishman over, ignoring his offended frown when Marina called him by his given name.

"Bring your luggage, boy," the pirate said. "Here you are your own servant."

Robin managed to carry his chest without help and followed him, not hiding he was outraged at the treatment he was receiving.

"This is a complete disrespect," he grumbled. "I'm a knight and—"

Maxó cut him off roughly. "There's only one title here, boy, and that's Captain. The rest of us have a name and only one job: following her lead. That includes you for as long as you're onboard her ship. And if you don't like it, you can jump overboard and go whine to Sir Thomas." He pointed to a gap between two starboard cannons. "There. Tie your chest properly. If I find it loose, I'm throwing it to the sea. And take that uniform off. This is a French pirate ship, and you don't want to get Sir Thomas in trouble."

The Englishman clenched his teeth and swallowed his reply. He'd be back to Port Royal within a week, to take his new post. And then he'd find a way to get back at everybody who had disrespected him. Concealing his plans of revenge, he did as Maxó said. He secured his chest and took his coat off.