7

Marina was incapable of heeding a word they were saying, nor the countless questions every member of the jury asked her. The girl trusted Dolores, and knew she wouldn't trip on contradictions. So she was free to fight back her urgency to look up at Castillano.

She'd already made that mistake, and he had recognized her. Luckily for them, nobody seemed to have noticed. But she couldn't afford to give in again and endanger her plan, and them. Good thing the counsel was sitting between them. She kept her hands crossed on her lap, her eyes down, and prayed to herself. That was the only way she found to stay put.

The screech of the counsel's chair scratching the floor startled her. The man stood up and Marina saw that Castillano kept his hands crossed and his eyes down, just like her. She swallowed a silly giggle at the coincidence and looked down once more.

Before the jury long desk, the counsel stood by Dolores and declined to question her.

"In my humble opinion, her account and her answers don't need further examination, since Doña Dolores' version of what transpired in Maracaibo matches completely that of Captain Castillano. It also reveals the dubious nature of the accusation, and of the accuser. In the light of all this, the jury couldn't fairly dictate sentence on this hearing, and it must be delayed. What's more, since Maracaibo has been liberated, it's this jury's duty to commission an officer to conduct an inquiry in said city, in order to question all the people involved. For all this, the defense wishes to file a motion for the jury to adjourn the verdict and sentencing until all parts involved have received a detailed report on the findings of said inquiry."

The members of the jury leaned toward each other, conferring in whispers, while the counsel thanked Dolores for her courage to step up and allow the court to dig into such private, sensitive issues.

Castillano looked up to thank her too and saw her come to his table.

In such a way to let everybody watch and listen, she rested her hand on Castillano's and said, "I owe you my deepest apology, Captain. Only I am to blame for your current situation, and I will not rest until I right such an outrageous wrong."

Castillano only nodded and looked down again, fighting back his urge to grab her shoulders and shake her, yelling to her face to grab the child and get the hell out of there, before he himself turned them in for idiots.

The jury accepted the motion and adjourned the hearing.

The counsel walked Dolores out of the courtroom and they lingered at the hall near the gates, Marina a quiet statue two steps away. Castillano's armed escort marched in for the prisoner and came back out with him.

Marina breathed deep, clenched her teeth, tightened her hands in fists until her nails hurt her palm. No use. Laughing at her attempts to control them, her eyes looked up to see Castillano walk out of the courtroom.

And the same happened to him.

Their eyes met again, hers with a concerned look, his sparkling in a glare. It was only a heartbeat, and the guards led him to the stairs at the other end of the hall. Actually, they were almost trotting to keep up with Castillano, who stalked away at full speed.

Dolores and the counsel paused their conversation when Castillano showed out of the courtroom, and they noticed the look he traded with Marina.

"I'm afraid my maid might be charmed by the captain," Dolores whispered.

"And looks like he noticed her too," the counsel replied, smiling.

"Is there any chance to visit him? Where are they holding him?"

"He's going back to Campeche tomorrow. Keeping him here would mean trouble for the jury, for Hernan is very popular and respected. So I convinced them to keep him in custody in his family home."

"I see. And what's next? Do you think they're sending somebody to Maracaibo? I can send a letter to the Governor and ask him to write down a deposition if needed."

"I don't think that will be necessary, ma'am. But I'll keep your offer in mind."

Marina could hardly stay where she was. She would've run after Castillano, taken his hand and dragged him away. She didn't know where. Anywhere, as long as he wasn't a prisoner. His stern look hadn't surprised her. She expected him to be mad at seeing her there. A sigh escaped her lips. She wanted to leave. She wanted to go back to the lodge, take that doll dress off and think. And maybe giggle to vent out. And maybe shed a couple of tears, out of fear for him.

The Great Admiral joined them at the hall, but Marina didn't register a single word he said to Dolores. After what felt like forever, she saw them head for the stairs and followed, so lost in thought that it was a true miracle she didn't trip on the bottoms of her dress and stumbled all the way down the stairs.

When they left the Admiralty building, Marina and Dolores walked back to the lodge, talking in whispers.

"Campeche?" the girl repeated. "Then that's where we must be. What excuse can we give to go to Campeche?"

"We'll come up with something, pearl, don't worry. Right now, everything is going better than we expected. We postponed his sentence and they're sending a commissioner to Maracaibo to confirm my story."

"Thank you so much, Dolores! What would've become of me without you?"

Dolores patted her hand, smiling. "I'm not without a price, pearl." She winked at Marina. "Do you think your blond friend is interested in me? I mean the tall handsome one, not the short brute we saw today."

"Morris?" Marina laughed. "He's dying for you!"

"Then that will be my price. I'll help you with the brute and you lend me the pretty one."

"You don't need me to help you get what's already yours, dear friend. What reason will we give them to go to Campeche?"

They walked down the streets full of people, coaches, horses, dodging passers-by and muddy puddles, until a man's voice calling Dolores' name out stopped them. They turned around together and found an army officer, tall and lean, with a thin moustache that trembled when he grinned.

"Ladislao?" Dolores cried, honestly surprised.

The officer took a bow and she let him kiss her hand.

"You're a general? Good Lord! Congratulations, General Segovia!"

The words they traded next suggested Marina that they knew each other from Spain, before Dolores got married and came to the New World. They behaved like old friends. However, she noticed something in Segovia's eyes that reminded her of the way Morris looked at Dolores.

She accepted to rest her hand on Segovia's arm and winked at Marina when they walked by her. The girl swallowed a sigh and kept two steps between them.

When they got to the lodge, Segovia whispered something in Dolores' ear with a meaningful glance at Marina.

"I'm having lunch with the General, child. You stay here," Dolores said with her lady ways.

Marina nodded, eyes down, did a quick curtsy and walked into the reception. Alone in their room, she pulled and struggled until she was able to take her dress off and removed the hairpiece. She stood by the window behind closed curtains, wearing only her petticoats. Her eyes looked for the sturdy lines of San Juan de Ulua, and she was finally able to smile.

"Told you I was coming for you, Castillano," she murmured.