6

Marina didn't need to play shy when they arrived in Veracruz, for she'd never seen such a big, populated city before. The merchantman captain directed Dolores to a decent lodging and sent two of his sailors with them, to carry their heavy luggage chest.

As soon as they found accommodation, Dolores left Marina in the room they would share and went back to the reception with a letter for the Great Admiral. Alonso knew the man personally, and had dictated that letter to Dolores back in Tortuga, especially designed to catch the Great Admiral's attention. She paid one of the lodge's young men to take it to the Admiralty, and promised a gold coin if he came back with an answer from the Great Admiral.

Back to their room, she found Marina pacing up and down.

"Now we can only wait, pearl," she said. "But only for today. If we don't get an answer, we ourselves are going for it tomorrow morning."

However, only two hours later the lodge boy came back with a note from the Great Admiral, to let Dolores know he'd be honored to meet with her in the morning.

"The Governor's letter, not me," Dolores translated.

"You didn't send it?"

"Had I done it, the Great Admiral wouldn't feel the need to see us."

"Is it because they're men or politics?"

"Both, my dear friend. And because we are women. A woman requesting a meeting with such a high navy officer is extremely unusual. You'll see the officers' faces tomorrow when they see us there."

"The longer this journey gets, the more I thank God for being born in Tortuga," the girl grunted.

Dolores caressed her cheek tenderly, a gesture that reminded her of her mother. "Now we're here, dear. And we won't leave without seeing the captain."

"We won't leave without him," Marina corrected her.

The next morning, the lodge's coach took Dolores and Marina to the Admiralty building

The next morning, the lodge's coach took Dolores and Marina to the Admiralty building. On the way, the girl couldn't help looking back, to the coast.

"Already missing the sea?" Dolores asked.

"No, no, it's... What are those towers?"

Dolores looked out the window and replied, "San Juan de Ulua castle. You're not planning to visit it, are you?"

Marina shook her head with a mild frown, her eyes on the fortress bulwarks. Since the moment she'd waken up, she'd felt that upsetting sensation she'd known before the battle against the Lion, and then again before fighting the Armada. Could it be that Castillano was there, in Veracruz, in that fortress? Or was she about to face something like a battle?

The guards outside the Admiralty didn't hide their surprise when they climbed the steps to the tall gates, and hesitated to let them in. Dolores played her bossy-wealthy-lady part and ordered them to confirm the Great Admiral was waiting for her. The man charged to do so hurried back to lead them in.