40

The Phantom sailed south, staying away of the Twelve-League Keys on course to Cape Cruz, Cuba's southwest end. They sailed past it, still heading south, two days after leaving Trinidad. With a headwind from the northeast preventing it from heading straight to Santiago first, and then on to Tortuga, the Phantom had to tack north and south in order to move forward. What coming from Tortuga usually took twelve hours, in the opposite direction would take them at least a whole day.

Morris spent most of the day below deck, busy with the plunder distribution. Sick of watching the pirates counting their ill-gotten Spanish gold coins, Castillano would rather burn under the beating sun on deck than seeking shelter from the heat in his hammock.

Marina saw the sun come down from the foretop. Every wave bringing them closer to Santiago made her felt more and more upset. In a way, she couldn't wait to leave the Spaniards there and go on with her life. And at the same time, she knew that when it happened, she would leave a part of her behind forever. A bit of her heart would stay in Santiago, and she couldn't tell how, or how long it'd take her to overcome that loss.

Pierre showed out the aft hatch to call everybody to dinner. Morris and Dolores left the bridge in no hurry and Alonso came from the bow, Alma was already in the cabin. Marina climbed down the rigging, and halfway to the deck she spotted Castillano by the gunwale. He waited for her with his hands behind his back and his hair neatly clubbed, like that morning onboard the brigantine that had taken them from Veracruz to Campeche.

She set foot on the gunwale between the pulleys and jumped to the deck on the other side, intending to ignore him.

"Velazquez," he called, not raising his voice.

Marina turned to him with her best indifferent face. "Captain? Do you want to have your dinner brought here?"

"No, thank you. I'd like to have a word with you."

Her head nodded out of its own will. When she realized, she sank her hands in his pockets and raised her eyebrows, trying to look as cold and not feminine as she could.

"What do I do for you to forgive me?" he asked bluntly.

Marina let out a sarcastic chuckle. "Leave, Captain. That's the best you can do for me."

He held her eyes as if she hadn't replied and he still waited for an answer.

"Do you remember what I told you the morning I set you free?" Marina asked tartly. "That I thought it was time for the Velazquez and the Castillanos to part ways for good?" She waited for him to nod and forced a tight smile. "For a few weeks I thought I was wrong. But you've confirmed I was right. So leave, for I want nothing else. The sea is big enough to keep us from coming across each other ever again."

Castillano lowered his head for a moment. He'd expected her hostility. Now it was on him to weather it.

"Leaving like this will only make it worse," he said slowly, trying to find the right words. "Time and distance are good food for bitterness."

"Would you rather move to Tortuga?"

He wasn't able to smile when he faced her again. "Come, child, you know that's not what I'm talking about."

Marina leaned toward him with glaring eyes. "Call me that again and I'll stab you like I did that chicken friend of yours onboard the Trinidad," she warned, grinding her teeth. "And what are you talking about, then? You don't want and you don't need my forgiveness, Castillano, because you don't want anything with me. And I don't want anything with you either."

Her comment about Lorenzo only confirmed what Castillano and Alonso thought, so he let it run. "What do you mean, I want nothing with you? Do you think I was lying every time I told you how much I care about you?"

"If I'm not wrong, you said you loved me. But looks like your feelings change with my clothes."

"You too said you loved me," Castillano replied. "And I love you no matter how you look."

"I loved the Lion: the bold, cunning rival; the brave, proud man; the moody blockhead and the affectionate companion. I loved you just as you are, and didn't leave anything out. But you still can't tell what you love about me, if not my womb."

"You brute! That's not—!"

"Not true? You can't stop mocking me, not even to apologize! Do you think I'm blind? That I can't tell the difference between how you looked at me in Campeche, and how you look at me when I sack a ship? You got a crush on me in my distress. And away from the sea, my skirt was the only fun around. But you didn't wish me well when I almost killed you, or when I took you hostage. And you certainly don't now, when I'm free to be who I really am. Find yourself a girl in Santiago, Captain. One to play the piano at noon and kiss you at night. My life is much more than that, and it's not one you'd like to share."

Castillano was shaken, listening to her saying truth after truth after truth.

Marina breathed heavily, clenched teeth to fight back the angry tears burning in her eyes. When he remained silent, not knowing what to say, she snorted and spun around to head to the cabin. He grabbed her arm, stopping her, and let go when she turned to glower at him.

"You're right," he said. "You've said nothing but the truth. But not the whole truth." He breathed deep. "You're the most daring challenge I've ever faced, and that's why I love you. Because I admire you as much as I want you. Because I know I'll never have any more of you than what you feel like giving me. Because I have no idea what to do with you, child. I don't know how to see you, nor how to talk to you. Because you've shed light in the shadows I didn't even know were there. You turned my whole world upside down, and there's no point in seeking a new life if you're not a part of it."

"I'll never fit the place you want to give me in your life, Castillano. Or do you expect me to believe you would accept me such as I am?" She waved her hands around. "With my ship and my sword and my black flag?"

"I don't know! How can I find out if you're dropping me at the next harbor like a casket of sour wine? But at least we could try!"

"Funny. That's exactly what I offered to you time and time again."

"Please, give me a chance. I don't ask for more."

Marina shook her head. "A chance? I gave you twenty, Castillano. One for each day I spent with you in Campeche. And you turned me down every single time. To the extent that it almost cost us our lives, yours, Dolores', mine. I've already humiliated myself enough."

Before he could insist, she turned around and strode away.