31

The day was breaking when some rough pounds on the front door woke up those who had been lucky to get any sleep that night. Castillano hurried out of his room. At the main hall, he saw Alma stepping back from the entry hall, from where half a dozen soldiers spread out with muskets. Before he could ask what was going on, Segovia walked in.

"Get dressed, Captain," he said coldly. Castillano set his jaw, glaring at Segovia's crooked smile. "Or you can come as you are, barefoot and bare chest."

"Ladislao!" cried Dolores from the gallery, keeping her robe closed with her hands. "What does this mean?"

"You too get dressed, dear, because we're leaving for Veracruz. You have ten minutes, or my men will come up to fetch you as you are."

Castillano and Dolores went back to their rooms. There were soldiers all over the garden and no chance to escape with their lives. They could only do as Segovia said. Not knowing what to do, Alma ran up the stairs.

"Help Dolores," told her Marina from her room, wearing her blue dress in a hurry.

When she followed the housekeeper, she saw Dolores was stunned as if somebody had hit her in the head. Marina had done well, waking her up an hour earlier. She'd had the time to explain to Dolores the turn of events, and to give Dolores a little time to digest it, calm down and start getting dressed. Marina had urged her to do so, because she expected Segovia would make his move at any moment. And once he did, there would be no time to tighten corsets and combing her hair.

However, Dolores frail calm fell apart when she saw the girl's suspicion come true.

While Segovia's men guarded the ground floor, Marina grabbed Dolores shoulders and shook her softly, meeting her green eyes like grapefruits.

"Morris is coming for us," Marina assured, positive. "Now wash your face and pull yourself together." She made Dolores turn around to finish tying the back ribbons. "Alma, pay attention."

"Yes, pearl."

"Wait here until we're gone and then run to the market. If you don't recognize any of my men, scream on top of your lungs. Scream your pearl is gone and you need help to get it back. And you follow those who approach you only if they have a French accent. The shabbier they look, the better."

Alma nodded, trying to keep those instructions in mind despite her anxiety.

"Repeat it," said Marina.

"I go to the market and scream that my pearl is gone. Then I follow the shabbiest man that shows up."

"The shabbiest with a French accent." Marina gave Alma the ring Maxó had given her a few days earlier. "Here. If they don't recognize you, they'll know this. Explain to them what happened and stay with them."

"Yes, pearl."

Marina finished with Dolores' dress and covered the woman's shoulders with her black shawl. She needed to help Dolores put her shoes on, but they left the room in time. From the gallery, they saw Segovia was about to send soldiers for them. They came down the stairs slowly, holding each other's hands, because Dolores' knees were about to buckle. Marina kept her eyes down, not sure she'd be able to restrain herself if she faced Segovia.

Castillano joined them a moment later. The general signaled a soldier, who brought a pair of heavy shackles with a short heavy chain, like the ones they'd used on Marina onboard the Trinidad.

"There's no need, General," Castillano grunted.

"I know. It's my pleasure," Segovia replied, with his crooked mocking smirk nailed to his face. "It's about time you are treated like the heretic you are."