Chapter 2

Nightmare chuckled from the left doorway, his glowing red eyes locked onto a young boy as he raced helplessly around a nightmarish projection of his bedroom. Right as he was about to strike, the door slammed closed, forcing the monster back into the shadows.
Chris held the door closed, his eyes darting to his digital alarm clock for an instant. It was 5:59 am. Only one more minute until the boy could rest his weary mind. Chris wanted to cry, hug his father and brother, and snuggle up in his bed, but he couldn't escape. Not yet.
Nightmare lunged at Chris from the closet, ready to kill as the alarm went off,  signaling the end of the night. He snarled in frustration, despising the time limit that was forced upon him. The kid could go for 6 hours straight without a rest. Why couldn't it have been 7 hours or 8?
Although before this nightmare had began, Nightmare had thought that the boy wouldn't make it through 6 hours of torture. He'd been completely wrong.
But it would all be over soon.
Chris's eyes flickered open, revealing nothing but a terrifying darkness.
"D-daddy?" Chris whimpered. "Can you hear me?" Tears streamed down the child's face.
"Can you hear me?" a voice whispered. "I'm still here." The darkness started to fade, revealing the Fredbear plush that Chris adored.
Chris tried to run over to the plush, wanting nothing more than to hug it, but couldn't move. "Fredbear! I thought I wouldn't see you again!"
The plush seemed to sigh. "I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm sorry. I failed you."
Chris was confused. "No! You're my best friend! How would you have failed me?"
Fredbear finally took notice of Chris, but stayed silent, his small arms gesturing to the shadows surrounding the two.
"What's wrong Fredbear? We're still friends, right?" Chris asked, trying to wipe away his tears but couldn't.
"We're still your friends, Chris. We're still here." Fredbear said.
The shadows flickered, taking the form of Freddy and his friends Bonnie, Chica, and Foxy. They smiled sadly, their eyes the same colors as the nightmares that had hunted Chris.
Chris sniffled. "Please don't leave me."
The shadows began to fade, one by one. Chris's surroundings began to lighten, transitioning to a light grey.
"Chris. Wake up." Fredbear urged. "Before he returns."
"Before who returns?" Chris asked desperately.
Fredbear appeared to float over to the boy. "Hurry. Wake up."
"What if the world is worse than my dreams? I don't wanna wake up." Chris said. "I'm too scared to wake up."
Fredbear flew at Chris's face, arms outstretched. "Wake up! Now!"
Chris screamed in fear, and the dream world shattered, pieces of the floor scattering in all directions. He fell through the newly created hole into the white void below.