Chapter 4

Note: I've broken through the wall that was blocking my creativity (aka a good night's sleep). Here's the long awaited 4th chapter!  
(Also I've been adding some ocs to the story, but they'll play minor roles such as doctors and janitors)
Chris's eyes flew open, a shrill scream bursting from his mouth as he sat straight up in a hospital bed gasping for breath. He clutched his chest, beginning to hyperventilate, the horrors of his nightmares seemingly flickering to life around the traumatized boy. The heart monitor began going berserk, trying to keep pace with Chris's heartbeat.
Meanwhile, Nurse Resalie was pushing a cart of cleaning supplies to the second floor utility closet. As she walked past the door to the Afton siblings' hospital room, she dropped everything and rushed in. She pushed a button next to the door, summoning the doctor to the room.
Dr. Franks strode into the room in an attempt to look professional when his heart was racing with dread. That dread quickly morphed into ecstasy when he saw that Chris was awake. He ran over to the younger Afton sibling. "Calm down Chris. Everything is fine. Take slow, deep breaths."
Chris obeyed the doctor, slowly breathing. His heart rate decreased to a somewhat normal pace. He took his first look around the room, his eyes settling upon Michael's bed.
Dr. Franks sighed, relieved. "Your father will be excited to hear that you're awake."
Chris couldn't register what the doctor had said. Lifting his arm, he pointed at Michael's bed. "Is something wrong with Mikey?" Once again, Chris was afraid of his older brother. But this time, Michael wasn't leaping at the boy with a fox mask. He was at the verge of death.
Dr. Franks took Chris by the hand. "Look, we don't know what's going on with him. He got...bitten by Fredbear a couple days back and now..." He looked into Chris's tear-filled, brown eyes. "Y-your brother is going to be alright." It hurt to lie to someone this young but he doubted that the boy could handle the prospect of losing his brother right after he woke up from a coma.
The heart monitor connected to Michael's arm let out a steady, droning beep. After 3 days of fighting, he was gone.
Chris stared at the bed, unsure of what the beep meant. He reached towards his Fredbear plush toy and barely managed to grab it. He pulled the plushie to his chest and hugged it.
The older man walked over to Michael's bed, trying to conceal tears of grief so Chris wouldn't see. He took the sheet from the older brother's bed and pulled it over the deceased boy's face. He then left the room, his sobs barely audible.
Chris, making sure he was alone in the room, climbed out of his bed. He stumbled over to Michael's bed and hauled himself onto it. He then removed the sheet from his brother's face and tossed it aside. The body...it was cold. Chris froze, remembering when his mother died in her sleep. Chris had been sleeping with her in the bed because he had a nightmare. The next morning, her body was ice-cold.
Just like Michael's body was now.
Chris started to cry, hugging his brother's body tightly, as if he could preserve the soul that had left the body awhile ago. First the horrible nightmares, now Michael dying. It was too much for a 8-year-old to bear.
A half hour later, William burst into the hospital room, only to see Chris crying, holding Michael's body. He walked over to the young, traumatized boy then cried along with him.
It was just the two of them now, alone in the cruel world. Neither of them knew what wretched fates awaited them, yet they both knew that the world had it out for them.
The cross appeared to glow with a dull, red light for a second, then vanished from where it had been hanging.
It seemed that even hell despised the Afton family.