Chapter 3

Thursday comes by in a flash and when school is over, I rush out of the classroom since I was instructed to pick Ivy up from her school as soon as possible to hurry and get her to the counseling appointment. Mia and I had been discussing all day about what would happen if I did see Julian again since we both had tons of questions to ask him, especially about if he really did get the Light Impression job just because he was dating the CEO at the time. Ever since I told her about that, she's been coming up with theories about what actually happened, ranging from completely ridiculous to actual plausible ideas.

When my car parks in front of the sidewalk where my baby sister stood, she gives me a small wave and gets into the passenger seat before giving me a hug before rolling her eyes when she sees that my outfit choice was the same as always, a gray cardigan with black skinny dress pants. "Hi, Mila, thanks for taking me."

"Yeah, of course, I'm happy to just be spending time with you," I tell her, putting the car in drive and making my way to Well Sessions, just hoping that he'll be there. I glance at her for a second to see that smirk she always had whenever I told her that I actually liked spending time with her.

"Anything crazy happen in your class?" She asks me as she types away on her cell phone before giving me all her attention when she was done.

I think for a moment, trying to remember if something weird had happened today and since I worked with young children, stuff like that happened every day. "We were doing paint mixing today since we're talking about colors and how you can mix two together to make another. So we're doing that and we have to watch very closely since it can get really messy if you don't and I look over at one of the boys and he just has paint all around his nose and his mouth and he's about to put more up his nose, but I run over and stop him before he can. I've never been more grateful in my life that we got the non-toxic kind."

She laughs, nodding her head. "Yeah, that would've been bad if it wasn't. I'm just surprised none of the other kids did the same."

"Oh, trust me, they tried. We were pretty vigilant after that and stopped any of them that even got close to their face," I tell her with a chuckle. She starts to tell me about her day and about all the drama that's been going on with her group of friends and I'm eternally grateful I was a band geek because none of our drama was as bad as hers is now.

Ivy's my little sister of five years and when we were younger, we were always getting into fights, but as I grew up, we've gotten super close. Especially since I officially moved out last year, we've been closer than ever. She comes over a lot and I go over there whenever I can since she and my mom were my favorite people in this whole world and I loved seeing them. I know that sometimes, they just want me to come over so they can see Bailey, but I don't mind since he loves to get out of the house and go on car rides. 

After about a 30 minute drive, we pull up to the parking lot of the gray building. We get out, making our way to the second floor to the check-in desk where a blonde lady sat behind. And I promise you, I looked everywhere we passed for Julian but haven't seen any sign of him. The lady looks up at us with a sweet smile when she notices us walking up. "Good afternoon, who're you here to see?"

"Ivy Brigg to see Sarah," I tell her, giving her the same smile that she gave me. She nods her head, typing on the laptop that sits in front of her and I look up at the TV in the waiting room to see Ivy's name pop up on it in red. It says "Waiting..." next to it and she tells us we can go sit until Sarah's ready for her.

I notice the way my sister's knee shakes as she looks around the room at the people that were also waiting. Every so often, a therapist would come out to announce a name and they would follow them back to a private room. I reach over, wrapping my arm around Ivy's shoulders to silently tell her that everything was going to be okay. I know that she likes going to therapy because it's helped her face her anxiety in a way that makes it easier for her to do things. The only thing that she still struggles with is talking to strangers in retail and other stuff, like ordering her own food or checking out in a store, and crowds.