Chapter 22

The next morning, I wake up in a huge empty bed with the blinds closed since Julian knew the light tended to wake me up whenever I slept here. After he and I had sex yesterday, I just napped and then we just stayed in bed all day because I didn't really want to do anything, including talking about all of our problems because that would have just stressed me out even more. He realized that, so he just turned the TV on, which I didn't even realize he had in his room, and I watched it while he did some work that he had to get done.

I get out of the soft bed, slipping on one of Julian's big t-shirts that went down past my butt along with my underwear and make my way to wherever he was. When I get down the stairs, I hear him talking, so I walk towards the living room to see him with his phone up to his ear. When he sees me, he gives me a small smile and motions for me to sit on the couch, which I do. I grab the gray blanket to pull over my body that was now freezing as Julian sat next to me, continuing to talk to whoever he was on the phone with.

I don't pay attention to what he's saying, instead, I lay my head on his shoulder as my eyes flutter shut. I'm assuming it was still early by the way the sun was still coming up, which I could see from the huge window that was next to the couch. I sit there and wait for him to finish with his call and when he was, I looked up at him with a small smile.

"Hey, baby, did you sleep well?" He whispers, reaching up to run his fingers along my cheek.

"Yeah, but you left," I whisper to him in a soft voice as he nods his head, setting his phone on the coffee table that was in front of us. I cover him with the blanket that I was currently using before wrapping my arm around his neck, feeling the need to be close with him. He lets out a hum of a sigh, laying his head on top of mine for a few seconds before looking back at me.

"I know, I'm sorry. I had to answer a phone call and then a bunch of stuff was going on. I was going to come back, I just didn't know when," he tells me in a soft voice.

"Is everything alright?" I ask him after he lifts my chin with his index finger to place a soft kiss on my lips. I smile against him, running my nose against his soft one before giving him another peck. We sit there for a few seconds, just basking in this precious moment before he pulls away to answer my question.

"Yeah, there's just some stuff happening with Home Our Community. I'll probably have to go to one of our homes soon to make sure everything's okay. Apparently, there was some fight that broke out between two of our kids, so we're talking about relocating one of them. Nothing like this has ever happened in the four years since I started it, so my volunteers don't exactly know how to handle the situation," he tells me, looking a bit stressed. I reach out and run my finger underneath his eye to make it flutter close for a second.

"Do you know what the fight was about?" I ask.

He shakes his head, his hair lightly flopping into his face. "No, but they're teenagers. Fights are bound to happen, but it got physical, so I have to help them deal with it. We have rules in place for our volunteers to follow, but they still need me to come in for big decisions like this."

"Could I come with? I mean, Nina said that she would love to take me there, so maybe I could take her up on the offer," I ask him and his lips turn up into a beautiful smile.

"I would love that, but Nina doesn't like to go into the actual homes of the kids because it can be pretty dark. She mainly focuses on our main building, which is where we plan all of our things and where all of the kids can go to socialize more. We do group therapy meetings there along with individual counseling. We also do some educational things revolving LGBTQ+ studies for any of them that want it since that's not something that's offered in regular schools, which is what they all go to."