Chapter 24

The next day, Julian and I walk into the group home that was a part of Home Our Community so he could handle this situation between the two teenagers that had gotten into a fight. The house was beautiful with a white exterior and a huge wooden door that was decorated with rainbow handprints. As soon as we walked up the steps to stand on the porch, you could hear loud voices coming from inside the house. Julian immediately pulls out his keys and unlocks the door himself before pushing it open as fast as he could. 

"He's assuming that I didn't get kicked out, Martha! He said I left, which I didn't!" I watch as one of the teenagers yells at a middle-aged woman who looked in distress. She was absolutely beautiful in a yellow sundress along with a light gray cardigan that covered her arms. The boy that was yelling at her shoots to his feet, continuing to motion towards another boy that had dark skin and beautiful piercing green eyes. 

"That's what you told me!" The green-eyed boy yells, also shooting to his feet as he takes a step closer to the other kid that was yelling at him. I could tell he was about to push him, but he physically holds himself back with much effort. He lets out a deep breath before pacing backwards, glaring at the boy in front of him.

"What's going on?" My boyfriend announces, earning the attention of everyone that was in the house. As soon as the boy that had started yelling first saw Julian standing there, he lets out a sigh of relief before rushing over. He throws himself into Julian's arms, looking extremely scared and upset at whatever was going on. I could tell he felt protected when he touched Julian and I assumed that all these kids, not only this boy, saw him as a father figure. It was like he was saving them from their trauma and helping them get back on their feet.

"Julian," he whispers as he sets his cheek against my boyfriend's chest since he was way shorter than him. Julian sets his hands on his back as he smiles at all the rest of the kids that had stood up when they saw him.

"Is someone going to explain what's going on?" He asks in a more gentler tone, looking around for someone to explain. Martha, the middle-aged woman that wore the sundress, stepped up to lightly move the kid off of Julian before motioning for him to follow her through the room. He motioned for me to wait here, so I stayed in my spot before looking back at the kids who were now looking at me with curiosity. One of the other adults in the room steps up to hold their hand out to me.

"Hi, I'm Georgie, it's nice to meet you," the younger woman says, shaking my hand. She had freckles that gave her a natural beauty along with hazel eyes that warmed your soul. She wore a t-shirt that held the logo of some other LGBTQ+ organization that I had heard of a little bit because of Julian.

"I'm Miles, nice to meet you too. Are you a volunteer here?" I ask, trying to keep my voice quiet since I heard that some of these kids could be skittish to new people, which was completely understandable.

"Yep, I've been with Home Our Community ever since Julian started it. I didn't actually start volunteering at the group homes until two years ago when I lost my apartment and I already had a connection with a few kids here, so I decided to take Julian up on the offer to move in," she tells me with a huge smile on her face.

"That's very noble of you," I say to her, noticing that a group of kids were whispering to one another while looking at me. When they saw me notice them, they tore their eyes away from me in embarrassment.

"Are you a friend of Julian's?" Georgie asks me in a neutral tone like she already knew the answer to the question. I mean, my face, or what you could see of it, had been plastered all over the internet since photographers had gotten pictures of me the night of the event. They assumed that we were boyfriend by the way Julian held me tightly since he didn't want any of the paparazzi to touch me in a way that would make me uncomfortable.