Chapter 7

"What do you mean you don't know how to mash potatoes?" My mom asks as she looks over at my little sister who hold a potato masher in one hand and a bowl in the other. Ivy shrugs her shoulders, setting the bowl down on the counter and tightening the red apron that was around her waist.

"You literally just mash them, Ivy," I tell her with a chuckle.

"Oh, really?" She asks, sarcastically before looking back at the bowl and starting to work on them with unease. I continue setting the table with four plates and silverware, hoping that Julian doesn't actually show up because I don't even want to talk about that drunken kiss that happened just a few days prior.

"Mila, go change. You look like a mess," my mother says to me, coming over to me to take my apron off for me before motioning for me to go up the stairs where my bag was since I had spent the night here last night with Bailey. I let out a sigh as I set the napkins down that were in my hands before making my way up the stairs to change my clothes that were now covered in food. When I get up to my old room, I grab my backpack, pulling out my clothes.

I slip on my black skinny jeans and plaid flannel before picking up my light gray sweater to pull it on. I put the collar of my flannel over the sweater along with the cuffs and I realize that I definitely look like a teacher now, not that I minded since it was literally my job. I slipped on my black shoes before fixing my hair and making my way back down the stairs where my mother and sister were still cooking.

"Now, you look cute," Mom says, walking over to me to kiss my cheek before focusing back on the stuffing. "so what time did Julian say he was coming?"

"Mom, I already told you. You told him that we were eating at five, so he'll probably show up around that time. I'm not texting the man to make him feel guilty if he isn't coming," I tell her, grabbing the napkins that say 'be thankful' on them and placing them on top of the plates.

"But he texted you and told you that he would see you on Thanksgiving," Ivy blurts out before covering her mouth as she admits that she did look at my phone while I was sleeping that one night. I had assumed because she seemed a little suspicious the next morning whenever I even mentioned Julian's name. I glare at her lightly as she gives me the most innocent smile she could come up with.

"Oh, so you did look at my phone?"

"I'm sorry, the message just kept popping up and I had to see what it said. You know I'm extremely nosy," she tells me with a shrug of the shoulders.

I let out a small chuckle, not really caring since the text didn't give anything away as to what happened between the two of us. I looked at the clock on the microwave, realizing that it was almost four and if he was going to show up, he would be soon. I went back to the kitchen, grabbing the cranberry sauce and putting it into a bowl since I needed to keep myself distracted before I totally overthink about everything. I get interrupted by my train of thought by Ivy. "I can't wait to finally meet this Julian guy since Mom talked so highly of him."

I remembered that they didn't officially meet at Well Sessions since I was too focused on not embarrassing myself and making sure she got to see her therapist. I looked at Mom as she basted the turkey that was still cooking in the oven. "All he did was give us a ride home."

"He didn't have to do that, Mila. He could've just let us get an Uber, but he decided to take us himself. It was very polite and he seems like a good guy since he also made sure you got home safe," she tells me.

"Why do you hate this guy so much?" Ivy asks me, looking at me with a curious look.

"I don't hate the guy. He's nice, I just think it's weird that he's coming to our Thanksgiving dinner. Isn't this supposed to be a family thing?" I ask, turning towards my mom who lets out a sigh as she closes the oven. She turns toward me, shaking her head.