Chapter 23

Once Julian and I were done doing what we were doing in the bedroom, we get dressed before going down the stairs and to the living room where my sister was sitting along with Jonah. There were papers in front of them along with Jonah's laptop that displayed some formula that I would never understand. When my sister sees me walk in, she shoots out of her seat to rush into my arms with a long sigh. "I'm so sorry."

I look up at Jonah in confusion as he looks down at his feet before back up at me with guilt present on his face. "I didn't know that she didn't know that you were fired. I told her without even thinking, I'm so sorry."

"Oh, no, it's okay," I tell him before kissing the top of my sister's head and pulling away from her hug to look down at her. "and, you, you don't need to worry about that. I'm going to figure something out and everything will be okay. This isn't something that you need to freak out about."

She nods her head, still looking upset before looking at Julian with a major glare, knowing that I didn't want to discuss more of what had happened. He takes a step back once he sees my sister's stare, holding his hands up in surrender with a scared expression. Ivy looks at me with an innocent smile. "Did you give him hell?"

I chuckle, nodding my head. "I'm working on it."

"Alright, then we're good," she says, moving over to Julian to give him a hug. He chuckles, hugging her back before coming over to wrap his arm around my waist. I watch as Ivy awkwardly stands next to Jonah before looking up at me with a small blush.

"So, what're you two studying?" I ask, moving over to the kitchen to sit on the counter as Julian follows after me, sitting down on one of the bar stools before looking over at his assistant, who was fiddling with his hands. I could tell that it would take time for the two of them to be so open and friendly with each other, but for right now, it was more awkward than anything. I just hope they could move past this stage until they get comfortable.

"I needed help with chemistry," Ivy tells me before biting her lip as her hands run against her jeans, which she usually did when she was anxious. She looks around the room, probably at all the random things that were placed on shelves like pictures and sculptures.

"Well, leave room for Jesus or whatever I'm supposed to tell you," I said, motioning my hands to the couch and my sister's face immediately covers with a blush. Jonah's eyes widen before nodding his head and moving back over to the couch to search through the papers, trying to ignore what I had just said to them. Julian chuckles, lightly hitting my knee as my sister glares at me before moving to sit next to her study partner on the couch. I look at my boyfriend with a shrug before his face turns serious, grabbing my hand with a light squeeze.

"You seem to be doing better with the whole job thing," he whispers.

"Well, I couldn't freak out in front of my sister," I dismiss him and he reaches up, pressing his hand against my cheek in concern before getting up to stand in front of me. He sets his hands on my thighs as he looks into my eyes. I set my hands on top of his, feeling the stress and anxiety starting to creep up on me again at the mention of my recent firing.

"Would you have freaked out if it wasn't your sister?" He questions, keeping his voice down so my sister and his assistant didn't hear us since they were just behind us.

"Probably, yeah," I tell him, honestly. It hasn't even been a day since I found out and I'm still extremely scared and upset about the whole situation.

"Once Christmas is over, I'll start talking to some of the schools I've worked with in the past, okay? I'm going to help you through this and if you need any help with money, please, don't hesitate to ask. I really don't want you to have to lose anything because of this," he informs me with a sincere tone. Before I could say anything, my phone starts to vibrate in my pocket and I let out a sigh as I take it out. I know I'll have to answer it when I see that it's my mom. I give a soft smile to Julian before doing so.