Chapter 22

It Was A Good Day- Ice Cube

🌸

"Mommy I'm hungry." Little Jasmine whines softly, laying on the couch. She gazes at her mother with worry, watching as she tries to clean the kitchen and make dinner as fast as she could.

Ethan always wanted dinner a 7:30pm sharp, and it was 7:12.

"Hold on baby, mommy's making dinner right now." Jasmine frowns as she noticed her mother taking out the rice and beans she made last night. Rose moves swiftly, dumping all the rice and beans into a big pot, and putting it on the stove to heat. Only thing on Rose's mind was that she hoped her husband wouldn't realize it was food from last night.

"You want Mac and cheese Jaz?" Her mother asks Jasmine. She silently nods her head as her mother gets to work.

"Alright baby. Can you go clean your room while I make it?" Jasmine always hated it when her mother asked her to do that, she didn't want to destroy the huge city she had created for her barbie dolls that morning. But, she did as her mother told her, and went to go clean up her room.

When she had made it to her room, she noticed someone sitting on her bed, holding her favorite doll. Her eyes lit up when she saw who it was.

"Austin!" She nearly screams and runs into his skinny arms. He was only 9 then. He gently pats her back, quietly shushing her.

"Shhh. You have to be quiet. I can't have anyone know I'm here." She looks up at him with a weird looking frown.

"What do you mean? Momma has to know your here, I haven't seen you in like a year!"

"Shh shh... I know Jaz. Do you still have that picture I gave you?" He asks me. She nods her head obediently.

It was a small pocket picture of them together from a family party last year.

"Good. Now listen-" Ethan's voices blares into the house like a horn all the sudden, cursing like a sailor. Austin and Jaz freeze on the spot, listening to that devil of a man.

"What the FUCK is this shit?!"

"It's your dinner babe, don't it taste good-"

"YOU STUPID BITCH!" A slap could be heard from outside the room, along with a cry of agony.

Silence.

Complete silence.

"You hit me. Again."

Silence.

"Did you hear me? You hit me AGAIN!" Rose cries now. She cries out all the pain and torment she's been feeling.

"Look baby I'm so-"

"You're not fucking sorry!"

"Stop raising your voice at me, pissing me off Rose!"

Then it's silent again.

"Where is Jasmine?" He then asks all the sudden. Rose's body fills with dread, as if all the blood was drained from her. "Why do you look like that? She's my daughter too!" Now he was getting angry again. Rose didn't want that again, so she tried to keep the peace, if there was any left at that point.

"She's in her room." And just like that, he was on his way to her room. Jaz can hear his foot steps coming closer and closer and right as she heard the knob turning, she remembered.