Chapter 3: Kuro Waits

You were sitting at your kitchen table about a week later. You had not talked to Seven for fear of the reprimand you knew would be getting from the red head. You knew very well that he was always watching and he knew you left the apartment to go to the library, all the while ignoring his texts and calls. No, he was not going to be happy when you finally talk to him. Especially since you kept going back to the library to talk to Rei. The white haired boy always seemed to be waiting for you and, while you didn't know much about him yet, you had become really good friends.

Kuro leapt onto the table as you received yet another text from Seven. Kuro gave you a look that said, you can't hide from him forever, you know.

You sighed and said, "I know. Aaagh. He can't expect me to sit in my apartment like a good Y/N and behave for the rest of time."

Kuro nodded, giving you that. You saw the Kuro understood that feeling exactly. Maybe even better than you knew.

"You are right, though," you said, squaring your shoulders. "I need to face him sooner rather than later. And, anyways, I'll be fine as long as you're here."

Kuro puffed up with pride as you picked up your phone to face the hacker.

'Y/N! Would you stop ignoring me!' Seven texted. He had sent many, many messages that said, basically, the same thing.

Flexing your fingers, you typed back, 'Fine. Whatever. I'm not ignoring you. I've read every message and I chose not to respond at the time.'

'Why?'

'Because I want freedom,' you typed angrily, 'You can't keep me here forever. I need to start a life if I'm going to live in this world and I can't do that from the inside of a box. Plus, I've been here for a while now and nothing has happened. I've been perfectly safe.'

'That's what they want you to think,' Seven responded, making you shiver a little.

You stiffened your back and typed, 'Seven, I'm serious, if I don't get outside more often I will go insane.'

There was a pause before Seven replied, 'I get it. I really do. I just don't want you to get hurt.'

'We all get hurt, Seven. That's life.'

The seriousness of our own sentence made you pause. There was a lot of things represented by that statement. In your life, you had thought you had found love many times. Five boyfriends and every single one of them had left you for some other girl because you wanted to take things slow and keep things simple and sweet.

'I just want to stop anything that might hurt you before it has a chance.' Seven's text came from out of nowhere, startling you from your musings.

You smiled a little. You can't protect me from everything, you thought with a sad heart. You can't protect me from life.

'I know, Seven. Thank you.'

.............................

You stepped back into your apartment after attending the party that you had set up. You had worn a long F/C dress with combat boots hidden under the loose fabric. You looked around with a sigh, pulling out your hair from its elaborate design and let it fall free on your shoulders. You changed out of your dress quickly, hanging it up in the closet and changing into pajamas.

The party, while fun and successful, had been exhausting and you had dealt with as many people as you could handle for the next three months. The people were mostly all rich and didn't know what it meant to be uncomfortable in the true sense of the word. They had all been nice and all but you couldn't stand people who didn't know what it was like to live like a human being.