Chapter 5: Kuro Threatens

You were standing by your bed the next morning, dressing to go to the library. You had been woken by Kuro earlier than normal and had been delighted when you finished work early. You were very excited to leave the apartment but you had a feeling that you were forgetting something. You had stayed in the apartment for a while longer, hoping that you would remember whatever it was. Of course, you couldn't, which meant that you jumped five feet in the air when there was a knock on your door.

Kuro looked unconcerned and, when he sensed your hesitation, glanced up at you from where he sat on one of the boxes full of files. Suddenly, you remembered that Seven was coming over for the boxes. Well? Aren't you going to get the door?

You walked to the door as Seven called out, "Hey! You coming? I know you haven't left."

"Coming!" you called before reaching the door and opening it.

The hacker stood in the door, one hand in his pocket. He was wearing his black and yellow jacket and he smoothly pushed up his glasses as he looked around the room at all the boxes of files.

"Wow," he commented as he stepped in and crouching next to one of the boxes and examining the stacked neatness of the papers. "This is amazing! Where did you learn how to do all this?"

"I used to be a secretary," you shrugged as Seven pawed through some of the files. "Apparently you learn a thing or two about papers when you work with them all the time."

"No wonder you're so good at setting up all these parties," Seven said amazed.

"Yeah," you said with a nod, "Just don't take that as an invitation to load more work on me."

Seven laughed but stopped abruptly, looking at your outfit more closely.

"What?" you asked, wondering what was going on under that red hair of his.

Seven got a dark look on his face. "You're going out again. Your too nicely dressed for staying home."

You glared at the observant man. "So what if I am?"

"You can't, Y/N," Seven said, his forehead wrinkling with worry. "You'll be in danger!"

"Seven," you said sternly. "I'm fine. I can handle myself. Plus, Kuro comes with me everywhere so I'm fine."

"Kuro?" Seven said incredulously. "The cat? How is he supposed to protect you?"

Kuro puffed up and hissed. How are you supposed to protect her? You are even less prepared than I am, Human.

"Kuro is plenty of protection, thank you," you said with a glare. "I was just going to the library anyway."

You slung a bag across your back, feeling the books shift within. You felt bad about disobeying Seven but you were late to meet with Rei and you knew that the boy would be worried about you.

"Please, Y/N," Seven said as Kuro rubbed by the hacker angrily. "Please don't!"

"Thanks for helping, Seven," you said, ignoring him.

"Help yourself to anything in the fridge. There are some Honey Buddha Chips for you above the counter. I'll talk to you later."

With that, you left the apartment, closing the door on Seven's disbelieving face.

..............................

"...And I felt bad for disobeying him but I need to get out," you said to Rei in the library garden. "If I had told him anything about you he would have freaked! I just don't know what to do anymore."