chapter six

(unedited)

It was beginning to be apparent that Luke needed a wake up call, or at least something to inspire him. Every hour passed by like a blur, that was filled with the harsh windy storm, that hammered against the Victorian windows.

Luke continued to sit around aimlessly, staring at the trickling droplets on the window pan, remembering a time where things didn't feel so pointless.

There was a knock on the door dividing Luke and Charlie.

" come in, I'm decent "

The sound of the wooden door and a poster flapping against the frame due to the movement, revealed Luke's roommate Charlie.

" Can we talk? "

Luke manages to escape the blank trance and nods with hesitancy. The pair continued to sit in silence, which felt as long as waiting for an online makeup shipment without express. Finally, Charlie cleared his throat catching Luke's attention.

"Luke, I want to apologise for how I've been acting. Words can never fathom what I've possibly put you through". Luke's passing thoughts as Charlie spoke were a mixture of 'whatever's' and 'k.' Charlie noticed this and continued to try connect with the broken boy. Until he hit the nail on the head; "do you feel like you don't belong here? Like everyone is just waiting for you to fail?" This time Luke was giving Charlie his full attention, and smiling faintly at the shorter boys words.

" I always feel like that " and after many hours of the boys chatting and Luke coming to learn Charlie felt threatened by him, which continued to be a statement of confusion but let it pass. Both boys now sat listening to the little radio Charlie brought along, the sounds of the guitar strings played so whimsically made the hairs on Luke's arms stand up and sooth his fast beating heart. As the time passed; Luke's phone began to ring but following the chain of misfortune; his phone was left on silent and left with the screen with his best friends name and miscall after it.

As time passed the pair, the natural lighting from the outside began to disappear and become replaced with darkness. While it seemed to be a wasteful free day; it was probably one of the most important moments so far, finally making a friend.

Charlie ended up leaving the room to meet up with one of the teachers and therefore leaving Luke to his own devices. The foreign feeling of relief surrounded the blonde boy, leaving him in a dream-like state. It was as though the rain cloud floating above his head had vanished without one last storm. With this relief, Luke began organising his pastel purple makeup bag (refer to front cover) with some essentials for freelance workshop.

Soon enough Luke began painting a whimsical and edgy colour combination on one of the models with his idea of presenting the cold colour pallet style, just as much as his usual warm tones. As a representation of a romantic winters night in Luke's eyes came to life, it was a reminder that not only is he doing this for himself but the little town he'd come from, and his best friend.

Best friend.

The two word seemed fizzled in his mind, as though the meaning had lost its purpose. But for now, Luke needs to survive the week. As the young "protege" continued to transform the face of a model with no flaws, which Luke didn't favour as he felt threatened by the beauty of the girl.

" what's on your mind? If you don't mind me asking?" The flawless women spoke with a hint of concern. Luke's throat became dry and stubborn; almost like it was refraining Luke from opening up. However, the small smile that appeared on the model's face gave Luke some tranquility to his current anxious state.

" I guess I'm homesick, wishing I could see my best friend " Luke said with ease as though it was ready on the tip of his tongue for awhile.

The model nodded and put her hand around Luke's wrist and gave it a squeeze.