chapter one

" Hey Luke, where did you put the Fenty Beauty shipments? " one of my co-workers inquire, as I try to gather up the used makeup remover whips from the lipstick section of my shop. Quickly, I look over my shoulder to see that the shipment was right behind her, " Abby, it's right behind you " I say letting out a brief chuckle. She returned the laugh before giving me a thumbs up. Being a new face in this industry of beauticians, I feel like I'm constantly on edge to prove the world wrong. As a teen, I'd watch male beautician channels, yet creating my own Youtube channel like them only brought negative comments. This is something I need to improve on, taking criticism from others about my work. Yet, I found that I was able to apply makeup to others but not myself; Hence the beauty parlour opened.

My best friend Abby from high school works along-side me, and it's probably the best decision I've made to work with her. She is a beauty, with defined facial features and attracted costumers more with the makeup she wore. However, I do her makeup but everyone thinks she does it and I simply told Abby to tell costumers the same thing. Despite this request, Abby told each costumer things like " see that blondie behind the desk, he did it " and since then custumers of all genders come in to get their makeup done by me. It made me feel a sense of pride that I was sharing my skills with the small town I live in. When it was lockup time, Abby and I parted ways to head towards our different styled living environments. While my house was very brightly coloured with decorations everywhere, Abby lived with her sister and her sisters' boyfriend in their apartment block.

Once reaching my cosy abode, my boots were placed at the door and immediately I turned on the beauty channel. Models like Naomi Campbell and Cindy Crawford walked down the catwalk with their incredible outfits, but I've always been drawn to the detail of the makeup on model's faces. One day I'm going to do makeup for famous people and get the acknowledgement I deserve. Through the night, I watched at least five hours of different beauty related shows and must have finished at least 2 family sized packets of marshmallows. It felt like heaven but every night I felt a sense of loneliness, growing up practically alone was never easy for me, not to mention the failed relationships that I could no longer count with my fingers and toes. That's speed-dating for you. Without realising, I had been scratching at my freshly painted nails and it was a metaphor for how I truly felt. A beautiful mess. It's just tiresome living in the shadows of a female populated industry.  While I'm fully aware male population takes over the majority of workplaces, this field is a different story. The flawless creations I made were just child's play in comparison to makeup artists like Pat McGrath, who shone through all her competition. It'll take time before I'm as good as Pat but, I'll find my way soon enough.

The night fell and I slept to the sound of secateurs informing the town of the heat that'll come with tomorrow. As my sleep became heavier, the sound of aliens filled my room; and no it wasn't an alien invasion but my annoying iPhone ringtone that I just don't change.  The screen read an unknown number, so I muted the sound and went back to sleep. Soon enough, the sunrises warmth and light filled my room and another day began. Swiftly, I got myself dressed and cleaned up before heading out the door to open up shop. Usually, Abby would open up but today was Tuesday and that's my role. As I drew closer to the shop, a bright coloured paper caught my eye. While it was jammed under my door pretty tightly, I could still see the title.

" London's College of Beauty and Fashion " -- the most elite beauty school in all the world. I knew this because, in high school, I dreamt of attending. Slowly, I pulled out the piece of paper and read all the details. It was the annual announcement for beauticians around the world to compete and be educated towards a placement in high industry runway shows for makeup artists or fashion designers. This year was the 2018 Vogue runway show placement, that if done well can further expand the selected few. This was my dream, it's time to actually follow it. " Hey beautiful, what you looking at? " a rich American accent possessed by my best friend asked. Before I could answer she let out a shout " No f-ucking away, is that what I think it is? " and yet again before I could speak, she snatched it and started jumping up and down. " Dude, you have to go, forget the shop I'll take over, you know I got this " and while this sounded marvellous this shop is my baby. " Abby, I can't just leave this place, so quickly " this resulted in Abby rolling her eyes and pointing at the date, " you've got till tomorrow to confirm your entry, you're going Luke, no ifs or buts".

So, there we were confirming my entry into the program as customers began to enter, fully unaware I was about to take my small town skills into the big leagues. Whether this was the right decision or not, without trying there is no answer.  I am going to get a place on that Vogue makeup artist list. This is going to be my new future and it might finally show the non-believers, that I made it. Fear does strike me, but I knew Abby was right.

London's College of Beauty and Fashion, here I come.