Round One, Scene Two

"You have unanimously voted for Juniperheart to stay." Dovestar meowed.

Juniperheart sighed in relief. "Thank StarClan!"

"You are all dismissed." Dovestar concluded the Clan meeting. "May StarClan light your paths."

***

As the other warriors went to sleep, Shadestripe stayed awake to watch over her brother. Even though the Clan had collectively brought him back from the brink of death, he still needed urgent care.

A meow sounded from the warriors' den. Shadestripe turned to see one of their Clanmates padding towards her.

"Hi, what-" Shadestripe's greeting was cut off by a sharp yowl as the other cat clawed her side.

"How dare you keep my victim alive? I'll break him from the inside by killing you!"

Shadestripe flailed her paws at the voice's source, but she couldn't aim very well in the darkness, and her strength was rapidly draining away from her wound. Within moments, she lay dead beside her oblivious brother.

"There, that's one down," the killer chuckled softly. "Only eight to go."

***

Drizzleleaf's wail pierced through the clearing as she stood over Shadestripe's blood-soaked body. "Why? Why her?"

"She didn't deserve to die." Mallowpelt's eyes were dull with grief. "Why would anyone do this to her?"

Rosewind's eyes glittered darkly. "They did it because she worked hardest to save Russetstorm. She must've been seen as a threat; she might've saved other cats from death," she muttered grimly.

Sagesong's muzzle was buried in Shadestripe's fur. Gorzebreeze was trying to calm Drizzleleaf, but her efforts were in vain. As for Russetstorm, he was still asleep in the medicine cat's den. Learning about his sister's death probably wouldn't help his condition. Hailcloud was in the leader's den, trying to wake Dovestar from her sleep.

Shadestripe had been a popular member of the Clan. All of her Clanmates would gladly sacrifice themselves for her... Except for her killer.

"Shadestripe..." Dovestar emerged from her den with Hailcloud following closely behind her. She too was shaken by the murder of her beloved Clanmate, but she was determined not to show it for the sake of her Clanmates.

She padded over to Shadestriple's body and lowered her head. Her Clanmates followed her example.

"Normally, the medicine cat would say the proper farewell, but can't have them come forward without risking their life against the traitor," Dovestar began. She turned her blue gaze towards the morning sky. "May StarClan light your path, Shadestripe," she meowed, trying to keep her voice level. "May you find good hunting, swift running and shelter when you sleep."

Then, one by one, the warriors filed up and took turns sharing tongues one last time with their deceased Clanmate. No cat said a word to break the heavy, depressing silence that hung over them.

After they were finished, Dovestar sent Gorzebreeze and Juniperheart to bury Shadestripe.

"This is serious," she murmured. "If we don't discover who this killer is, we'll all die." Dovestar took a glance at all of her warriors. Her gaze lingered on the grieving Drizzleleaf. Is it a good idea to tell them who got accused this time?

They'll have to know eventually.

"Another cat has been accused." Dovestar paused for a moment, then drew in a deep breath. "Drizzleleaf."

"Wh-What?" Drizzleleaf started quivering more than she did before. "Why would any of you accuse me?" she whimpered. "One of my best friends..." She broke down in a heartbroken sob. "One of my best friends is dead! She's dead, and you- one of you thinks I'm responsible!" She rose her head to look despairingly at her Clanmates.

Rosewind narrowed her eyes in concentration. She turned to Drizzleleaf, her tail flicking back and forth. "But what if you did kill her? It's not impossible."

Sagesong rested her tail on the dark ginger she-cat's shoulder. "Well, we have no proof that she did it," she meowed soothingly. "I'm not affirming or denying your claim, but I don't think Drizzleleaf would kill her friend."

Rosewind rolled her eyes. "Fine, but if she does end up being the traitor, all those deaths will be your fault for letting her stay."

Dovestar raised her tail, and the Clan slowly quieted down. "Unfortunately, Sagesong, it is not your decision, but the entire Clan's. Another vote will be held with the exact same rules. And Drizzleleaf, may StarClan light your path. I do hope that you are innocent." With a flick of her tail, Dovestar dismissed the meeting, leaving the Clan to chatter.