Round Three, Scene Three

Fernfur was walking outside Quietstar's den in the evening when he heard muttering. He pricked his ears curiously, only to hear her whisper, "More cats think he's guilty..." Those words pierced Fernfur's heart like a thorn; until now, no cat had shown any mistrust towards him.

He thought about what would happen to him and his Clanmates. There were ancient legends of cats who'd been in the same situation as him, but no details had been preserved through time. Would his Clanmates be forced to make their fellow warrior leave forever? He didn't want to be banished by his Clanmates. His own friends.

Fernfur took a quick glance around, then heaved a heavy sigh. He would have to leave on his own. He'd spare himself and his Clanmates that pain.

As Quietstar exited her den, Fernfur slipped out of the boundaries of the camp he'd called his home for so long.

Quietstar noticed him. "Are you leaving?"

"I heard you in your den." Fernfur didn't look back at his leader. "I should go before..." His meow quavered slightly.

Quietstar gave a small smile. "Go bravely, my warrior. You've made a hard choice, but it was a wise one. May StarClan light your path."

***

The rainy daybreak gave little light to see. Thunder and lightning decorated the forest in a terrifying display. The dreary surroundings foretold a gloomy future...

Emberstripe was awakened by a clap of thunder. She looked around at the other warriors; apparently, none of them slept as lightly as she did. She pushed herself up and walked outside to see rain, rain... and a speck of muted red and gold on the ground... It was a warrior's lifeless body.

"M-Mothblaze?" Emberstripe breathed. She approached the body dtiffly, only to confirm her fears. "No..." The ginger tabby she-cat pressed her muzzle into her best friend's bloodied golden fur, a body now no longer attached to a soul.

***

Quietstar woke up and was grooming herself in her den when she heard a loud moan outside. She slipped outside to find Emberstripe crouched over Mothblaze, with the latter being limp and her fur clotted with drying blood. The moans, which were mostly veiled by the thunder, were coming from Emberstripe.

The black she-cat approached the mourning Emberstripe gently. She smoothed her grief-ruffled fur with her tail, murmuring soothing words under her breath.

"Who would've done this, Quietstar?" Emberstripe blinked and looked up, meeting Quietstar's eyes.

"I don't know. I should tell the others when they awaken."

Emberstripe rose, shaking her rain-soaked fur. "Then I might save my energy to avenge Mothblaze," she spat. She turned to leave, but not before adding, "Oh, and Quietstar? Don't bother telling me to be strong for Mothblaze's sake. I know she'd act the same way for me."

***

"Let all cats gather here, for another vote must be held." The storm had now disappeared, leaving only shallow puddles in its wake. The warriors had gathered beneath Quietstar's den, on which the leader herself was perched.

"Who will be accused today?" Quietstar's authoritative meow rang across the camp.

The ownerless whisper reached Quietstar's ears once again. "Crowheart."

Emberstripe immediately fell upon Crowheart, slashing away at his pelt. "Murderer!" Snakefang and Thornwhisker had to pull her back from shredding the black and white tom.

"E-Emberstripe..." Crowheart stammered. He shrank back from the hostile she-cat, but his expression showed no anger or disappointment towards her, only shock.

"Emberstripe, stop! We don't know if it was him or not," Thornwhisker meowed.

"There's always a possibility!"

"Stop fighting!" Quietstar yowled, which she rarely ever did. Her warriors froze; when Quietstar raised her voice, she was to be obeyed.

"Consider the possibility carefully. I will hear your verdicts at moonhigh and count your votes."

Did Crowheart murder Mothblaze? Cast your votes to decide!