Round Four, Scene One

"Cinderstar!" Puddlewish burst into Cinderstar's den without bothering to ask for permission. "Pebbletuft's been murdered!"

"What?" Cinderstar's eyes flew open. He jumped up and dashed past Puddlewish into the camp clearing. Sure enough, the gray-furred body of Pebbletuft lay lifeless on the ground. A long gash ran across his body, still spilling out an endless river of blood.

Cinderstar's warriors already knew about the murder. Most of them huddled around the body. Badgerstorm's face was buried in Pebbletuft's fur. Dawnwing was murmuring comforting words into the black and white tom's ear. Duskfall, Shademask and Podflower eyed the other warriors and talked amongst themselves, trying to decide who was responsible. Cypressleaf and Olivestrike waited patiently for their turn to share tongues with Pebbletuft. Iceblaze paced around the clearing, agitated and restless, while Heronfrost tried to calm her down.

The warriors regarded Cinderstar with grief-filled eyes; not one of them acknowledged him with words. They knew that there was no point in being formal after a tragedy like this.

But someone had to take action. They couldn't just mill about while one of them plotted to kill them all.

"Let all cats listen to what I have to say!" the gray tom called. "Today, a great warrior has fallen, but his death will not go unavenged. Who has a clue to who may have killed Pebbletuft?" Cinderstar briefly closed his eyes to pray to StarClan; he didn't want any more of his cats to die.

"It was Iceblaze."

Cinderstar's eyes snapped open. Was it a StarClan warrior who'd just spoken to him or one of his own? Nethertheless, he would take this accusation seriously. Glaring at the suspected white and ginger she-cat, Cinderstar meowed, "Iceblaze, you've been accused of murder."

"What? Why me?" Iceblaze asked, surprised.

Badgerstorm raised his head to hiss weakly. "You're crafty, Iceblaze, and unpredictable." He spat out the words like poison. "Maybe you did kill Pebbletuft."

"If you use that logic, then the killer is probably Shademask," Iceblaze growled softly. Shademask sniffed indignantly and turned away, disgusted.

Dawnwing looked at Iceblaze guiltily. "I'm sorry, but he may be right. It's possible that you're responsible for Pebbletuft's death."

Podflower frowned. "Iceblaze hasn't done anything to prove herself disloyal." Duskfall and Heronfrost nodded agreement.

Cinderstar flicked his tail. "Enough talking for now. You will come to my den one by one to cast your votes- innocent or guilty- anonymously. I will count them and decide Iceblaze's fate." The warriors muttered consent.

"But for now," Cinderstar added, "we will mourn for Pebbletuft. He will be buried at sundown." Cinderstar padded forward and pressed his muzzle into Pebbletuft's fur. "I hope that your death will soon be avenged," he murmured before pulling away.