Round One, Scene Three

Dovestar gazed down upon her Clan, her sadness reflecting in all of their eyes. Everyone had been devastated with Shadestripe's death; she was a loyal and noble member of the Clan and she wouldn't be forgotten.

But Dovestar couldn't help wondering if one of those cats was faking their grief.

"The result of the voting is in," Dovestar announced. Her voice echoed ominously in the soundless clearing.

"Drizzleleaf stays."

Sagesong and Juniperheart happily nuzzled their friend, while Rosewindwatched from a small distance, amused by their overjoyed actions. However, Mallowpelt, who had voted guilty, stared icily at the gray she-cat, distrusting her already. Gorsebreeze was in the medicine cat's den, deep in conversation with Russetstorm.

"The Clan is dismissed. Goodnight, and stay alert." Dovestar returned to her den without another word.

***

"Oh, Juniperheart!" The overly cheery voice rang in Juniperheart's ears. He groaned and opened his eyes to a silhouette towering over him.

The mottled gray tom raised his head sleepily. "What is it?"

The cat cackled madly. "What is it, you ask, Juniperheart? Well, I've got something to tell you." They pounced onto Juniperheart's body. "It's time to die."

Juniperheart opened his mouth to scream, but the killer bit down hard on his neck, snapping it. They faced upwards, where the den's interwoven brambles obscured most of the night sky. "You think I'm insane, StarClan? Well, I don't care! All these warriors will die to me!"

***

For once, Dovestar was already awake. It seemed as though she had learned not to sleep in. She watched in stunned silence as her Clan huddled around Juniperheart's body.

"Why, StarClan? First Cedarshine, then Shadestripe, now Juniperheart... You almost had me, too." Russetstorm, somewhat recovered from his injury, raised his eyes to the sky. "Do you really need those cats more than we do?"

Rosewind's tail lay over Russetstorm's shoulders. "They didn't deserve to die." Although her voice seemed level, it had an undertone of sadness.

Hailcloud hissed and sank his claws into the dirt. He, like the rest of his Clanmates, wanted to stop the killer; they had taken three, almost four innocent lives. "Dovestar, the killer must be stopped as soon as possible. Do you have another accusation?"

Dovestar blinked at the sudden question. "Well, as a matter of fact, yes."

"Who has been accused?"

"...Mallowpelt."

"Me?" Mallowpelt's outraged hiss pierced the air. "I would never murder anyone, ever!"

Sagesong glanced at him uncertainly. "You did try to have Drizzleleaf exiled."

"Maybe you were trying to shift blame." Gorsebreeze added. She leered at the mottled black and white tom, hostility glimmering in her eyes.

"No, stop it, you two." Drizzleleaf pushed Gorzebreeze aside, desperation clear in her expression. "We have no real proof that he's the traitor." Her meow, though still light and weak, was now slightly stronger for her Clanmates' sakes.

"That doesn't prove his innocence," Rosewind meowed. "It's still possible that he's guilty."

"We have nothing to go by but instinct." Dovestar twitched her ears. "But the choice is yours: do you think Mallowpelt is innocent or guilty?"

A/N Seriously, I wrote 99% of this book and I didn't even make it.

~Bubble