Round Two, Scene Four

"Ryefrost has been voted innocent," Eaglestar meowed. "She can remain with us, for now."

"Of course," Ryefrost huffed, but her quavering voice betrayed her fear.

"The murderer is still at large," Eaglestar finished. "Stay alert. We must survive!"

***

"Barkfox! It's time to go to sleep," Petalfern called. It was night-time, and most of the others had gone to sleep already, except for Barkfox and herself.

"Go on without me," Barkfox meowed. "I want to go to the burial site." Petalfern opened her mouth to speak, but Barkfox interrupted her. "I want to go alone. You can go to sleep with the rest of them. Go ahead now, I won't mind."

"...Okay, if you're so sure. Just watch out." The ginger she-cat turned away, leaving Barkfox alone in the camp clearing. Steeling himself, he padded away into the forest, heading for the patch of meadow that served as his dead Clanmates' final resting place.

Spottedstorm... Stonestrike...

Barkfox sighed and looked up towards Silverpelt. "Are you safe in StarClan's ranks?" he whispered.

"You really wanna know that?"

Barkfox turned to face a cat whose pelt was obscured in the shadows. Their fur was bristling and they emitted a low growl.

"You wanna make sure those two are safe?" the cat repeated. "Then all I can do is send you there to see them!" A crazy laugh escaped their mouth as they flew towards the brown tom, clawing down his side. Barkfox backed away, but not fast enough to avoid injury. Two fresh gashes had been carved out by the traitor.

"Shove off!" Barkfox launched a fluffy of blows at the murderer, but they ducked and dodged away from his claws.

"I don't think so, Barkfox," the cat snarled. They crouched down, ready to leap at him again.

"Barkfox!"

The cat growled in frustration at the new voice. They dashed away into the bushes just as another cat emerged from the bushes. Petalfern.

"What are you doing here?" Barkfox shifted his paws nervously. "I told you to go to sleep first."

"I was afraid this would happen..." Petalfern looked at the direction where the killer had run off. "Let's go back to camp now."

***

"You really don't remember anything?" Eaglestar queried. He and Barkfox were in the medicine cat's den, where Barkfox's wounds had been cleaned and dressed.

Barkfox shook his head. "I'm sorry, but the only thing I remember is trying to keep myself alive."

"I see..." The mottled brown tom stood up and shook out his pelt. "Well, please come to me if you remember anything more."

"I will."

Eaglestar left Barkfox to his own thoughts and turned to exit the medicine den. There, he was greeted by a flurry of questions about the killer's identity and Barkfox's condition, none of which he could answer.

Eaglestar flicked his tail, and every cat went silent. "I've received another accusation. One of you thinks Thistlecloud is the killer."

"What?" Thistlecloud's exclamation rang in the air. "I would never do such a thing!" Her tail lashed angrily; she was outraged at the prospect of being suspected of murder.

"Don't aggravate yourself, Thistlecloud. No cat said that it was you outright," Eaglestar meowed. "But only the Clan can decide if you seem innocent or not." Eaglestar lifted his head slightly. "As always, you must tell me if you think Thistlecloud is innocent or guilty. Choose wisely, as the choice could mean life and death."