3. the one with more than enough ice cream

Monday, 17th of November, 2014

"The phone number of the hotel is on the fridge," Papa said for the fourth time in an hour. "And you definitely have both my and Nicholas's numbers in your phone, right?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes, yes, Papa." I sighed, like I had done a million times before in response to a question he had asked. He was making sure everything was going to be okay, but sometimes it just seemed a little too much. "I'm not sure I know where the fridge is, though. Mind showing me?" I then quickly added, lips quirking into a smirk.

"Come on, darling," Nicholas spoke up as he waltzed over to where we stood just inside the front door and pulled his suitcase behind him. "Your father just wants to make sure you will be safe."

"I know, I know. I'm just teasing," I replied as Nicholas draped an arm over my shoulders.

Nicholas gave my arm a little squeeze before placing a quick kiss against my forehead and turning to face Mina, who was standing on the other side of me. He wrapped his arms around her, and even planted a few kisses all over her face as she giggled away. It made me feel warm and filled with positive feelings when I saw how well he interacted with her, and also me on occasions. Nicholas really was like a second father to me, and even though he would never replace my real father, I was glad to have him in my life.

I was also very glad that my father had found someone like Nicholas in his life, too. Obviously my mum wasn't exactly his type — both gender and personality wise, it seemed — but I would not change anything for the world. I loved the little family set up we had now, and I loved that Mina — their adopted daughter, who was now six, and who they'd had since she was four — was also very much part of the family. She hadn't been around as long as Nicholas had, but she was certainly just like a little sister to me, and we got along so well.

Papa had wandered off to the kitchen, because who knew why, and had just come back into the room in time for Nicholas to remind him for the thousandth time about what time their flight was, and if they didn't hurry, they might miss it. My Papa, sassily, waved his hand at Nicholas, who just blew a kiss in retaliation.

They were cute and sassy. There was no denying it.

Then, after another twenty minutes of messing around, Papa and Nicholas were finally on their way. Mina and I stood out in front of the house, waving at them as their taxi drove off. Once Mina and I came back inside, where it was actually warm — it was forecast to snow any day now, so the cold weather was really kicking in — I shut the door behind us and span on my heels to look at her.

"Okay, then." I grinned. "Time to party?"

Mina folded her arms across her chest and frowned at me. "Papa said no parties, and you promised!" As she spoke, she uncrossed her arms and raised her pointer finger at me. For a six year old, she sure knew how to be a party pooper. It was certainly a good thing that I was only kidding, then.