epilogue

In the eighth and final installment of "8 Days of Oxford Comma," it's the epilogue and we learn all about what happens to Harry and Suzy a few years into the future. A lot has changed between them, but the real question is whether they stay apart or decide to call it quits forever.

***

We've finally come to the official end of Oxford Comma. It's a little sad, if I'm being entirely honest; it almost feels like the end of an era or sorts. I mean, Suzy did first come into my mind in 2014 when I was thinking about what it must be like to have known the Harry Styles from the world's biggest boy band from school—not an old friend, not an ex-lover, but just someone you shared a few classes with. However, Suzy ended up being a much bigger part of Harry's history than that as the plot developed further.

I would also like to include a special thank you for @primetimewritings, @silverrankfics, @beautifulletdownfics (all on tumblr) and a couple of others who don't use tumblr so much anymore. Without you guys helping me plot and through countless meltdowns, this story wouldn't be where it is today. I appreciate everything you've done for me, even if it was just listening to my rambles and breakdowns 💖

But enough of that... It's time for the epilogue of Oxford Comma and the crazy world Suzy and Harry have been in for the last few years.

BACKGROUND

It's been a few years since Harry and Suzy broke up that one night in London, though it wasn't the last they saw of one another. In fact, while Harry was filming Dunkirk in France, he made a few detours to Suzy, until they made the decision they really needed to end things—they still had so much to work through as individuals and it was still early days of their new journey. Since then, Suzy has finished up her year abroad and graduated from Oxford, then moved to London; she got a job as an interpreter in media, and while she did enjoy it at first, it wasn't a forever job. However, it did inspire her and she has gone back to study part time so she can also have a teaching degree; primary teaching, especially as a French teacher, is what she has decided she wants to do next.

Harry has been off around the world, starring in a Christopher Nolan film for his acting debut and releasing his first album before going on two separate world tours. He has dated a couple of people in this time, though nothing has ever been serious (or been able to compare to Suzy).

Niall and Mila are still going strong, which includes him proposing and an engagement party in the near future. Violet and Bodhi got married over a year after he proposed because Since Seventeen ended up getting their big break, but they're as happy as they can be—Violet follows the band on their tours and works as a web design freelancer since she can do that anywhere in the world. Naomi is in London and Suzy's flatmate, though she's in between jobs as she tries to work out what she actually wants to do with her life.

SCENE

It's a week before Christmas and Suzy is in Holmes Chapel to spend some time with her mum and youngest sister, Frankie, before she joins the rest of her family in France for Christmas. They've stuck by the rule that she will spend Christmases between her parents, which has gone in their favour after Suzy and her mum have slowly patched their relationship back together. Suzy will always be apprehensive about her, especially given who her partner is, but they all know that Suzy will always be there for Frankie.

Suzy decides to go for a quick walk around a nearby park one afternoon, but as she does so, she ends up running into Harry. They're both surprised to see one another at first, especially since the last time they saw one another was at a dinner Mila and Niall held where they both showed up with a date and it was all sorts of awkward.

"It's, uh—it's nice seeing you," Suzy says, unsure what else to really say.

"You too," Harry adds. "You look great, by the way."

Suzy smiles, though heat immediately rises to her cheeks. "As do you," she adds quickly.

There's some brief small talk about what they've been up to, which is mostly about Suzy's move to London and her decision to move into teaching. He tells her that she will be brilliant at it, but then again she will be brilliant at whatever she decides to do. Suzy mentions she listened to the album and liked it; they both laugh awkwardly as she says she particularly likes Woman and a couple of the others because they're about her.

A silence passes them, but it doesn't feel as awkward as Suzy thought it would have; then again, they never really did have awkward silences. It's in this moment that Suzy remembers a particular event coming up.

"Guess you'll be at Mila and Niall's engagement party next month then?" she asks, biting down on her lip. Part of her is almost desperate for him to say yes.

"Yep. Got my invite a few days ago," he replies with a nod. "Guess I'll be seeing you there?"

"A little expected as maid of honour, but, uh—we should catch up before then. Coffee, maybe?" Suzy is nervous to ask the question, but she bites down on her lip as she waits for his reply. They've only had a brief conversation, but there is this shift between them that she can't quite put her finger on—it's almost as if there is still this connection that has never changed.

Harry pauses at first, causing Suzy to want the ground to swallow her up whole, but he eventually genuinely smiles and nods. "Yeah, I would really like that."

They exchange numbers and promise to contact one another after the holidays to make plans to grab coffee, then say their goodbyes. Just before they leave, though, Harry turns back to Suzy and asks, "Hey, are you happy?"

Suzy is a little taken at first about the question, but there's really only one answer: "Yes, yes I am. Are you?"

Harry grins something so genuine and it feels as though everything they had been through lead up to this exact moment. "Yeah, I really am," he replies, and then it's like some sort of glimmer in his eyes that Suzy's not seen in a very long time. Before he turns to leave, and with a super dorky smile, Harry asks, "So, I'll see you around?"

It's been a long time since he's said such a thing to her, but it's a see you later moment she will always remember. "Mhmm," she begins, smiling back at him. "See you around, Styles."

And with that, he gives her an awkward three fingered wave before making his way around the corner, and Suzy is left with a smile she cannot wipe off her face and the feeling that their story is far from over.

***

Bit of a happier ending than the final chapter, yeah?

Well, this is officially the end. Except...it's not the end of Suzy and Harry. Once upon a time, I had a whole sequel planned, but that's so far from my mind anymore; I have bigger and better things that I would prefer to work on, but if anyone ever has further questions about Suzy and Harry's future, I am more than happy to answer them. It's quite changed over the years, especially as this wasn't even the original epilogue, but it's for the better.

And to everyone out there who has stuck by me with this story, whether you're a new reader or have been here since the beginning, I thank you dearly. It's all your love and support that has kept me going for as long as I have. Suzy and Harry's story will forever be in my heart, but I am beyond grateful that you have joined me in this journey along the way.

It's been a very long journey since this story was merely an idea of Harry's life before fame and a single red balloon, but I am happy it has finally come to an end. It's a little sad to let go of these characters I love so much, of course, but I am excited to move onto bigger and better things. I hope you'll stick by me and enjoy those new things as well—maybe even more.

Again, thank you all, and see you on the next story!