13. the one with a kiss

Wednesday, 31st of December, 2014

In the middle of trying to put in my left contact before Mila and I were set to leave for Nick Grimshaw's New Year's Eve party, Mila stormed into my bedroom in nothing but her underwear. "Jesus Christ, Mila!" I exclaimed, jumping in my seat from the shock. "What are you d—wait, why are you not ready?"

"The zip on my dress broke." She sighed, sitting down on my bed and pouting at me. "It got stuck, and then I tried to pull too hard, and it got more stuck and then just broke completely, so now I'm probably gonna have to show up in my knickers."

I narrowed my eyes at her, wondering how she had managed to say all that in one breath, before nodding to my walk in robe. "Got plenty of clothes in there," I told her. "Just take what you need."

"You're the best!" She jumped up with glee and ran off, leaving me to finish putting my contacts in. It was really weird to only have one in, and my eyes did not like it one bit, so I think they may have thrown their own party when I successfully put the other in without dropping it or damaging it. A few seconds later, Mila called out, "So, who exactly is gonna be there tonight? I need to prepare."

"I don't know!" I called back, looking into the mirror and fluffing up my hair. "All I know is that Nick is hosting it and Harry invited me."

"Mhmm, and you know what that means, yeah?"

I looked back at myself in the mirror, furrowing my eyebrows in thought. "No, I have no idea?" Was I supposed to know what it meant? Was there even a hidden meaning that I wasn't aware of?

Mila walked back out, wearing one of my dresses (that looked so much better on her), and had her hands down her bra as she fixed up her boobs in her reflection in the mirror just outside the closet. "Suzy, please," said said as she continued to rearrange herself. "The boy invited you to a party and made sure my name was on the list, just to make sure you'd go. And, not to mention, it's a New Years Eve party, which totally means he wants to kiss you at midnight."

My eyes widened in surprise, and if I had been eating something, I would have choked on it. "Kiss me?" I spat out, shaking my head. "No, no, no. He doesn't want to kiss me!"

Mila finished finished fixing up her chest region, then put her hands on her hips and turned to face me. "The fact that you even reacted like that—" she wiggled her finger towards me "—tells me that you want to kiss him, too."

"I don't — I don't want to kiss him!"

Mila didn't believe me, she just shook her head and laughed. "Mhmm, you keep telling yourself that."

Again, I tried to defend myself. "I — I don't w—want—" But even I couldn't finish that sentence, because truth be told, I didn't even know what I wanted.

On Christmas Eve, I knew full well Harry wanted to kiss me, and if he hadn't thrown up everywhere, there was a chance that I may have let him proceed. During that night when Harry stayed with me in Oxford and we had a bit to drink, there was almost another kiss. I remembered being angry with Harry that he pulled back from me, not wanting to through with it. Maybe that was a sign that I really did want to kiss Harry, but as I thought about it more, I came to terms with the common denominator of all the situations: Alcohol. If vodka hadn't been consumed any of these nights, would have Harry and I gotten into those situations in the first place? Who knew.