33: the one with the reminder

In the sixth installment of "8 Days of Oxford Comma," it's the second last chapter where Anne embarrasses Harry and gives Suzy quite the reminder, Suzy faces her mother and her unborn baby sister, and the chapter ends with...well, you'll just have to read and find out!

***

As stated, it's the second last chapter and truly the beginning of the end... Do as you will with that once you read the final scene. I don't have much else to say other than please just think about everything holistically before making any assumptions; there is a very good explanation for what Suzy wants.

SCENE ONE

Harry and Suzy arrived in Holmes Chapel around eleven in the morning, though Suzy spent their time driving through town on edge as memories of her past are dredged up. Anne is ecstatic to see the two of them and greets them both with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Suzy admires the relationship Harry and Anne have; she feels a twang inside her as she thinks about how the last time she saw her mum was when she told her she wanted her out of her life.

As the day progresses, Anne and Suzy bond together and Anne enjoys the extra female company in the house; she even brings out the baby pictures, though it backfires a little once the childhood photos appear and Suzy makes an appearance in them as well. Harry, however, promises she is very cute and always has been.

In the evening, Harry offers to do the dishes while the two women sit outside and have a chat; Suzy feels this motherly bond with Anne she wishes she could've had with her own, but tries to ignore the mother's love size heart in her chest. This is when Anne brings up the fact that Suzy is going abroad in a few months since Harry has mentioned some worries in the past, but it gets a little awkward as Suzy keeps trying to push it out of her mind more and more; she doesn't want to think about a time when she doesn't have Harry. Which is ironic, considering there was a time when she didn't think there would be a time when she didn't have Jasper. Really, she doesn't remember a time when she didn't have a romantic entanglement always at the back of her mind.

SCENE TWO

SCENE TWO

Ever since they left for Holmes Chapel, Harry has hinted towards Suzy seeing her mum—he feels as though she will regret it if she doesn't, but even if she doesn't do it for her mum, the least she could do it for is her unborn baby sister; he doesn't push her to do it, especially if she's uncomfortable with it, but Suzy thinks hard about it all and knows he is right so she makes the hard phone call and her mum agrees to see her that night.

As Suzy arrives at the house (alone, because she told Harry she needed to do it on her own), her mum walks her through the renovations to the house and the new nursery; Suzy can tell her mum really is trying to make an effort and it reminds her of some of their happier memories when she was a teenager. Calvin isn't around as her mum asked him not to be there, and while she insists Calvin has also changed, Suzy feels as though he will always make her uncomfortable. The main thing is that she and her mum have made the first steps in paving their way to (hopefully) a brighter future.

They sit down for a cuppa and this is when her mum pulls out an ultrasound and officially introduces her to her baby sister. While Suzy is still coming to terms with all these changes, she has decided on one thing: she will be the big sister her new sister deserves—it's the least she could do.

SCENE THREE

Harry hums along to the radio in the car on the back to London, while Suzy sits in silence and reflects on her time away and everything that happened. A weekend away is something they both needed—Suzy needed the stress relief from her studies, Harry needed a break to cool off, and they both needed the time to figure out who they are together. There's a lot of memories that leave Suzy with a warmth between her legs and the memories of Harry's hands all over her body, but there's a couple of conversations in particular that she hasn't been able to stop thinking about either.

Suzy spoke to both Anne and her mum about the fact that she will be studying abroad for a year, and they both questioned how she felt about a long distance relationship; it sounds tough, but she knows they are far from the first couple to do long distance. However, it's not the only thing that's been on her mind. Her mum made a comment about how quickly she jumped into another relationship after being with Jasper for years, so she's never really had time to be by herself and explore who she is on her own. This thought alone is what has consumed her for most of their drive home, and they're about twenty minutes from Harry's house when Harry decides to speak up.

"Did you have a good weekend?" Harry asks after a while, glancing across at her after he's noticed she's been quiet and just staring out the window at all the city lights. "Suzy?"

Suzy doesn't hear him at first, her thoughts buzzing around her mind as she lets them consume her. It was a weekend she plans to remember forever and she really did enjoy herself, but the conversations she had with both Anne and her mum put some things into perspective for her. As much as the idea running through her mind breaks her heart, and she knows it will also break Harry's, Suzy feels as though she has a lot of growing to do.

Harry raises a brow when she doesn't reply, then tries again. "Suzy?"

Suzy looks across at Harry and, without missing a beat, says, "I think we should break up."

***

***

And now this is the part where I run.

(But before I leave, this and the next one were two chapters I was very excited to get out into the world. I know they're not officially "chapters" and all, but when I wrote that final line...it genuinely felt good. Hurt my heart, of course, but considering this is a story I have been working on for YEARS, it was nice to write those words I had been planning from the very beginning.)

(As always, I am very excited to see everyone's thoughts on this chapter! Not even just what happened in the end, but the bonding with Anne and Suzy reconnecting with her mum. Tidying up some loose ends, don't you think?)

(One last thing before I go: tomorrow is the final chapter; there will be an epilogue the day after, but the next and final chapter focuses on Harry's reaction to Suzy's reaction and whether they decide to stay together or apart. Enjoy!)

Bye.