𝐗𝐈. FLASH TO THE PAST

CHAPTER ELEVENFLASH TO THE PAST

CHAPTER ELEVEN
FLASH TO THE PAST

§ § §

Our grade and the ones above stood in front of Professor McGonagall as she explained the rules about Hogsmeade. Today was our first trip there.

"Now remember, these trips to Hogsmeade village are a privilege. Should your behavior reflect poorly on the school in any way, that privilege shall not be extended again." Harry walked up to her hopefully with his blank permission slip in hand. "No permission slip signed, no visiting the village. That's the rule, Potter."

"All those with permission follow me, all those without, stay put." Filch said, and all the students besides, Draco, Hermione, Ron, and I followed. Hermione, Ron, and I were waiting for Harry. Draco was waiting for me.

"Professor, I thought if you signed it then I could go." Harry tried.

"I can't, only a parent or guardian can sign. Since I am neither it would be inappropriate." McGonagall explained. "I'm sorry, Potter. That's my final word." And with that, she followed after the other students.

I frowned, Harry looked absolutely devastated. "Forget about it, guys." He told Hermione, Ron, and I, not caring to wonder why Draco was still here. "See you later." Harry turned and started walking back into the castle.

"Harry wait, I'll stay with you." I sighed, and he turned.

"No, go and have fun. I'll be fine, I promise." He pushed me slightly.

"I have fun when I'm with you. Dream team." I grin, fist pumping him. I turn to Draco. "Go find the other Slytherins. I'm going to stay with Harry."

"What? No! You heard him, he told you to go. So come on." Draco frowned. I shook my head. "But you're the only one I actually want to hang out with!" He complained.

"I'm sorry, Draco." I frowned. I wanted to go and spend time with him, but family will always- okay, most of the time, come first to me. He huffed and turned, walking over to the group of students leaving Hogwarts. Hermione and Ron followed in the same direction.

Harry and I had just been walking across school grounds when we came across Professor Lupin on one of the bridges. We decided to go over and ask him something we've been meaning too for a while. 

"Professor, can we ask you something?" I say to announce our presence as we walk over to him.

"You want to know why I stopped you two from facing that boggart. I had thought it would be obvious. I assumed it would take the shape of Lord Voldemort." He faces me. "And it did, for you. But it was also a dementor for the both of you."

"They're frightening." I frowned in defense.

"I did think of Voldemort at first. But then I remembered that night on the train... and the dementor." Harry explained.

"Yeah. That horrible feeling of never being happy again." I shivered.

"Well, I'm very impressed. I suggest that what you two fear the most is fear itself. This is very wise." Lupin told us.

"Before I fainted, I heard something. A woman. Screaming." Harry said.

"I heard it too." I add.

"The dementors force us to relive our very worst memories. Our pain becomes their power." Lupin explains.

"Well, then, I think it was our mother." I conclude. "The night she was murdered."

Lupin was silent for a minute. "You know, the very first time I saw you two I recognized you almost immediately. Not by your scars," I glanced at my arm, "by your eyes. They're your mother, Lily's." Harry and I looked at him. "Yes, oh yes. I knew your mother. Your mother was there for me at a time when no one else was. Not only was she a singularly gifted witch, she was also uncommonly kind. Found a way to see the beauty in others. Most especially when that person could not see it themselves."

I smiled a little, and saw Harry do the same. 

"Your father, James, on the other hand... he had a certain, uh, shall we say, talent, for trouble." Lupin continued, and I grinned. I was more like my father than I was like more mother, I knew that for a fact. "A talent, rumor has it, he passed on to the both of you."

"Especially her." Harry pointed accusingly at me.

"Won't deny it." I shrugged, and Lupin grinned.

"You're more like them than you know, Giovanna. You too, Harry. In time you'll come to see just how much."