𝐗𝐗. PATRONUSES

CHAPTER TWENTYPATRONUSES

CHAPTER TWENTY
PATRONUSES

§ § §

Harry and I stood in front of Lupin's desk, waiting for his reply. The setting sun shone an orange light on our faces. 

"You're sure about this, you two? This is very advanced magic. Well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level." Lupin asks us, pacing in front of one of his large trunks.

"Yes, Professor Lupin." Harry says. "If Black can fight these, I need to know how to, too."

"Also, just a form of self defense. I'd hate for my grave stone to say killed by a dementor's kiss on it." I added.

Lupin chuckled at my joke and sighed. He studied Harry and I, then decided. "Very well. The spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Ever heard of it?"

Harry and I shake our heads.

"A Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the wizard who can conjure one, the Patronus acts like a shield. The dementor feeds off of that instead of the person." Lupin explained.

I frowned. "Cheerful." I muttered.

All of a sudden, the trunk rattled violently. Lupin snaps his fingers, gaining my attention back. "But in order for it to work," he continues, "you must think of a memory. And not just any. This memory needs to be a very happy one. And powerful."

I thought about it. I did have one in mind;

Meeting Harry for the first time. This was an obvious choice. I remember feeling like a part of me that had been missing had been returned when I met him. He's my twin brother, my last blood relative alive, well, that I knew of. He's my other half, and I couldn't live without him.

"Got one?" Lupin asks us, and Harry and I nod. I wonder what he chose as his. "Good. Let it fill you up, lose yourself in it. Then speak the incantation: Expecto Patronum. Without your wand..."

"Expecto Patronum." Harry and I repeat together.

"Right, then. Shall we?" Lupin raises his eyebrows. "Who's first?" He asked. Harry pushed my shoulder slightly and I rolled me eyes.

"Me, I guess." I mumbled, sending a glare back at Harry. I took a deep breath and raised my wand, pointing it at the trunk. Lupin, watching closely, gripped the lid of the trunk.

"Concentrate." He tells me. I nod, then he flings the lid open.

The boggart comes flying out, in the shape of a dementor. I couldn't even remember that it was a boggart, it looked and felt so real. The eerie sunset light only amplified the terror of the creature. I instantly felt drained inside, the happiness slowly leaving.

Harry, think of Harry. Think of meeting Harry. A voice inside me chanted.

"Expecto... Expecto.. Expecto Patro-" I felt my arm dropping just as a flicker of a silvery light came from my wand.