2

Nafessa Williams

I walked the halls of Redwood High School. My nerves were through the roof. It was my first day and I truly just didn't know what this new school had in store for me. It would be one thing if it was the first day of school, but it wasn't. I was switching over second semester of my senior year.

My backpack hung off of my right shoulder. People were staring at me, or maybe it was just my anxiety because it seemed the eyes were glued to me.

Looking back and forth from the schedule, I accidentally ran into someone. "Oh shit. Hunty watch ya self."

"I'm so sorry." I apologized quickly to the person.

The boy looked up at me. "Oh no sweetie. Don't apologize. It's all good. You must be new here. I'm Gil. This right here is Kelendria."

"Girl call me Kelly or Kel." The girl corrected Gil.

I chuckled. "Nice to meet you Gil and Kelly. I'm Nafessa."

Maybe this school wasn't that bad after all.

"Nafessa." Kelly repeated. "It's got flavor. I like it. You're very pretty Nafessa."

"Thank you. So are you." I complimented back.

"Where you heading?" Gil asked me.

Looking at my schedule, I replied. "Uh B 218."

"I'll walk you. I'm in the class next to yours." Kelly informed me.

"Not me. I have to go to the office for first period. Life of being a teachers pet. I'll catch up later!" He yelled as he walked away.

Kelly shook her head as he did leave. "Okay Nafessa, finding your way around here can be only as complicated as you make it. A floor is the first floor. B is second. C is third and D is fourth. It's simple really."

I nodded in understanding as we walked up the stairs. "Okay."

We made it to the second floor and this girl pulled Kelly to the side. "Where you heading, princess?"

"I'm walking my new friend Nafessa to class." Kelly nodded over to me and the girl looked me over. "Nafessa this is my girlfriend Janet. Janet, this is Nafessa."

The chick had red natural hair. She was wearing a crop top with a jacket on top and some jeans. She was pretty.

Janet smiled at me timidly. "Hi. Nice to meet you."

"You as well."

"We still blowing this place right bae?" Janet asked Kelly.

Kelly nodded. "Yeah. Can Nafessa come?"

Janet looked at me and shrugged. "Yeah. I don't see why not. Well that's if she's up to it."

"Wanna hang with us after first period, Nafessa?" Kel asked me.

"Like skipping?" I asked for clarification.

Janet and Kelly laughed at me before Janet answered. "Yes. Like skipping. We will come back before lunch. Come on. It'll be fun."

My mom is bat shit crazy— but I was halfway grown.

"Sure. I'm in. Where will y'all be?" I questioned.

"On A floor. You'll see us." Kelly answered before pointing. "Second door on the left is your classroom. Meet us afterwards. First floor."

I nodded. "K. I'll meet you all after."