14

Nafessa Williams

I sat in my new fifth block, for they had changed my schedule because I told them I was gonna beat Shawn's ass every time I saw her. This class was more chill anyways and I was late today and the man didn't even trip.

Plus, that meant that I took D lunch with Toni, Daya and Ry now. The day was going by slowly if I'm being honest, for every class was sad about Ronnie's passing. It was fucked up how that cop did them and now they'd taken another innocents life. No one deserved that shit— and to just put the cop on paid leave like that, it didn't provide comfort for anyone involved or us as citizens. There's no justice.

"Aye Fessa, you did that shit the other day bruh. Two chicks beating each other's asses is a turn on." Some dude called me by my nickname and it caused my face to turn sour as I turned around.

Sending him a look, I responded. "One, you sound dumb. Two, my names Nafessa. I don't even know you to be calling me by my nickname like that."

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. My bad. Damn."

"Yeah. Yo bad." I mumbled back as I turned around and got back on my phone when I felt it buzz.

T
Wya?

I quickly texted back.

Fessa
In class. Why? Trynna skip next period?

T
You haven't heard what's happening? We're walking out of school. Protesting since the principals won't say anything about Ronnie. Daya and I are following the crowd outside now.

Just when I read it, we heard yelling outside in the hall. "No justice! No peace! We won't sweep this under our feet!"

Everyone stood to see who was yelling it as the teacher yelled. "Have a seat!"

We ignored him as we looked out anyways. Kids were marching by and one girl yelled. "You all need to come on! Ronnie did a lot for this school! No justice! No peace! We won't sweep this under our feet!"

That was all we needed to hear as most of us turned back and grabbed our things. Mr. Macklemore yelled. "Sit down students or else I'll be forced to write you all up!"

We all grumbled before leaving anyways. When I got into the crowd, I texted Toni back.

Fessa
Just walked out. Where you two heading?

T
We're by you and Ryan's cars.

I accidentally bumped into someone and quickly mumbled. "My bad."

"You're good." The girl brushed it off as I put my phone away and headed down the steps and towards the student parking lot. When I made it, I saw that everyone had beat me there.

Zendaya waved me over. "Come on Fessa, we are gonna be late to the protest."

"What protest?"

"The one at the School District." Ryan filled me in on.

"We are gonna go protest at the District? That's everyone's plan?" I questioned in disbelief.

It was practically a suicide mission doing that and they knew it. Toni had filled me in on how the district was always quick to get folks arrested when folks did something they didn't like. Especially when the folks had more melanin then they did.

"Girl we will figure that out later. We going today though." Ryan mumbled.

I looked at Toni who was still leaning on the side of Ryan's Jeep. She was quiet and I noticed she had her hoodie on again today. Something was up, usual she'd at least be then acknowledged me. She seemed to be zoned out.