9

Toni Braxton

Music blasted in my ears as I held a bottle of water in my hands and leaned against the wall. Nafessa was on the other side of the room laughing and dancing with Gil. I would join, but that's not my type of fun. At least not in public.

Surprisingly, Janet hadn't shown. Maybe she didn't feel like partying, who knows. It seemed that the party was working in my favor after all. As long as I stuck to my wall, I'd be alright.

"I'm surprised you're here." I jumped at the sound of a voice besides me.

Mariah Carey stood there smiling softly and I squealed as we hugged. "Mariah what are you doing here?"

"Gil's party always turn up. I snuck from New York to get here. If my mom finds out she'll freak but what the hell?" She shrugged it off as she sipped from her red cup.

I shook my head. Mariah was Janet's age. We all met during a singing camp down in Baltimore during our freshman summer. Mariah's ass was crazy, always sneaking out and living the best life she could before she graduated. Her father had money for her, but in order for her to get it she had to go to law school. Anybody who knew Mariah knew that she wouldn't last a day in law school. The girl was a singer and that was that.

"You're crazy girl."

"Bitch, that dude over there was trynna get my number. I think I should have given it to him." Another girl came over and told Mariah.

Mariah followed the girl's head nod and made a face. "Whitney stop. Hey Whit, this is my friend Toni. Toni's a singer too, Toni, this is Whitney."

I stuck my hand out and Whitney shook it. "Nice to meet you girl. Now do you know who that boy is over there?"

She pointed and I looked and saw that it was Bobby she had pointed to. He hung with dudes all the time. The same four mostly. They had a boy group happening, they've been singing since freshman year together.

"Oh that's Bobby. Bobby Brown. He's cool people. He's sweet and he sings really nice." I described him to the best of my abilities.

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm going back in. I'll be right back girls."

Whitney walked off and Mariah and I giggled as she did. "She might seem crazy now, but you'll come to love her. Whit is as shady and sweet as they come."

"I'm sure of it." I muttered back as I sent her a look and we laughed.

Fingers touched my shoulder and I turned around. Nafessa was standing there. "Hey."

I smiled at her. "Hey, I thought you were dancing."

"I was but Gil's damn energy is unmatched." She looked up at Mariah who was watching us. "Whose this?"

"Oh," I turned to introduce the pair. "Nafessa this is my friend Mariah, Mariah this is Nafessa. Mariah's my friend from music camp in the summer."

Nafessa sent a friendly smile her way as they shook hands and swapped greetings. "Well I'm going back over there with Gil, you staying over here?" I nodded. "Okay, I'll be back to check on you, it was nice meeting you Mariah."

"You as well, darling." She walked away and Mariah spoke to me. "Oh, so what is that?"

"Huh?" I asked confused.

"Friends? Or more than friends?"

"We're friends Mariah." I replied annoyed that she could see it. Could everyone else see it as well?

Mariah shrugged. "I disagree. One, she came over here to check and make sure I wasn't flirting. And two, let's talk about how she hasn't stopped looking at you since she left."

I turned around and met eye contact with Fessa who in fact was staring at me. She smiled and I smiled back before turning back to face a smirking Mariah. My hand went up. "Don't."

"You're gay? I live! Can we go to pride in New York this year? I never have a reason to go." She pouted suddenly.

My face furrowed. "Girl, no. I'm not even sure of what's happening yet. Don't do that and don't talk so loud. If folks hear you and my parents find out, no telling what they'll do."

"I forgot daddy's a pastor. Well, you know I'm supporting you no matter what." She told me sweetly. "All you drinking is that water?"

"You know I don't drink. Don't start." I warned her.

She shrugged before speaking. "You are drinking tonight. I'll be back."

She walked away before I could stop her and I shook my head before leaning back on the wall. It seemed as if the Devil was busy because Keith walked over and got into my personal space. "Look at you mouse, at a party for once. Don't you look well."

"Thanks." I mumbled softly.

"Speak up. That damn cat still got your tongue from Kenny's car?!" Keith was wasted and I could tell. Rolling my eyes, I tried to walk away but he grabbed my wrist tightly. "Bitch, you let them take my brother from me. We gone forever have a problem, mark my words."

I yanked my wrist from his grasp and he went to grab me again before Nafessa pulled him back. "Aye bruh. Move."

He looked her up and down before pushing her back a couple feet. "You must don't catch a hint, I told you to not bother me!"

Keith was causing a scene and the music stopped playing once the DJ noticed the commotion. She walked right back up to him. "I don't know who you think you dealing with, but I will whoop your ass."

"Bitch, please. Your ass ain't nothing but a new girl who thinks she's all that because she's driving a BMW. You ain't shit out here but a new and easy body everybody wants to fuck."

Nafessa chuckled before nodding. She punched him in his jaw and Keith hit the ground cold. He was dazed and his head was on the floor shaking back and forth slowly. Nafessa's jaw was clenched as she spoke. "One, I can't be that easy because nobodies touched it yet and they won't. Two, don't ever put your hands on a female because it's bitches like me that can knock you out. Let's go, T."

I followed her out of the house and to the car. Mariah followed us. "T! Wait a second."

Nafessa unlocked and opened her door but motioned me on to talk when I looked her way. Turning, I walked back up to Mariah. "What's up M?"

"I thought you told me they've been leaving you alone? Janet still messing with you to?"

Nodding slightly, I spoke. "Yeah but—."

"It's no buts Toni, that shit isn't okay. If you're leaving then Nip and I are to. I don't support this shit knowing folks are still being insensitive assholes to you." She fumed. "I'll call you later alright?"

I nodded. "Okay. Let me know when you make it back to New York. Please?"

"Of course."

Getting into the car, Nafessa drove off after I put my seatbelt on. We drove in silence. It was tense and Nafessa was pissed. Her grip on the steering wheel was tight as hell. Her jaw was clenched.

I mumbled softly. "I'm sorry."

She looked at me briefly, me saying that brought her out of  her thoughts. "For what?"

"I shouldn't have went. I should have known Keith was going to be there. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize for that. That isn't your fault. He's just a fucking asshole. None of that was your fault. Let's just go home." She softened. "Wanna watch movies tonight?"

Nodding, I spoke. "Sure, do you have more grapes?"

"Depends, did you eat all of them before we came to the party?"

"Yeah. Thinking back on it, I did."

Fessa laughed before shaking her head and turning off path. "Well to the grocery store we go then."