3

Toni Braxton

My hands shook as I sat on the restroom floor. It was lunch hour and people were barely on D floor during this time. This was always my hide away. Always my place to run to.

I shakily put my drawings of Kenny back in order. All I wanted was to be left alone. Nothing more. Nothing less. Each picture brought back different flashbacks that I didn't want to think about.

Then that girl... whoever she is. She stood up to Keith. Nobody ever stands up to Keith. He's been an asshole ever since Kenny died.

Tears began to fall as I studied the pictures I had drawn. The door opening caused me to put my drawings up and stand.

"Well lookie lookie at this quiet mouse." I knew the voice from anywhere. It was my ex best friend Janet. Keeping my head low, I tried to walk past her just to be stopped. "Nu uh. Where you think you going?"

Looking at her, I begged. "Janet just let me leave."

"Hm. I don't think I'm going to do that. You can try and move me though." She looked me up and down and I could tell she was wasted. "Your choice."

I just stood there. If Kenny was still here— she wouldn't be drug or high every day of school, she wouldn't be such an asshole, and she'd never treat me like this but that's what happened. Once he died. Everyone changed. A part of everyone's heart was in heaven.

"Speak! You act like a damn cat got your tongue!" Janet raised her tone and it caused me to jump slightly.

Kelly and Shawn stood behind her but another person stood with them. When I gave her a good look, I realized it was the girl from my first period. Typical. I wonder if Janet knew that the mystery girl had stood up for me, would she still be her friend?

"What do you want me to say?" I questioned.

Janet chuckled. "You know what, go ahead Miss Braxton. Bounce on."

I walked past her just for her to trip me and me to bust my face against the tile of the floor. Laughter echoed in the restroom as I touched my nose just to find it was bleeding.

"Yo! That shit ain't cool." The new girl voiced as I got up slowly. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Y'all tripping."

Janet raised a eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"I didn't stutter! You're fucked up for that and you know you are." The girl came and stood next to me defensively. "I'm good off this. So you either need to leave or I'm about to beat your ass for her."

Even though Janet was one to not fuck with— hands or mouth wise, she would rather know about the person she was fighting. Whoever this girl was— she was new. Janet was uncomfortable with that fact.

"Whatever new girl. Let's go." She instructed her friend and girlfriend and like clockwork they followed her out of the restroom.

Not before Kelly stopped and told me. "I'm sorry Toni. I don't know why she does this to you. I'll talk to her. I promise. She's just angry."

Kelly's name was yelled by Janet, causing her to leave quickly. The new girl went over to the sink and wet some paper towels as I looked myself over in the mirror. My nose was bleeding and my lip was busted.

"I'm sorry that she did that. I didn't know she was that big of an asshole. Wouldn't have hung with her to begin with." The girl explained.

She stood up to Keith on my way out of the classroom. Now this. Why does she keep doing this for me? What does she want from me?

I mumbled. "It's not your fault."

She came over and tried to wipe the blood from my nose but I flinched and moved back. "I'm not going to hurt you." We looked into each other's eyes, and I nodded slowly as she wiped the blood from my nose gently. "Wanna go to the nurse?"

I shook my head. "No. She'll call my mother."

"Well you can't go through school like this. I drove, want me to take you home?" She asked me sincerely.

"No, my mom will be off in a few and she'll freak if she sees me like this. I'll be okay."

"No you won't. How about I bring you to my place? My moms a doctor and she's working a overnight shift today. She won't be home til tomorrow afternoon. So you won't have to worry about her trying to call your mom."

"I don't even know your name." I mused weirdly.

She chuckled as she stuck out her hand. "I'm Nafessa Williams and you are?"

Hesitantly, I shook her hand. "Toni Braxton."

"Okay Toni Braxton, do we have a deal or what? I mean I can walk in front of you all day so the kids won't see your lip but I don't think I'll be able to hide it in class. They'll call ya big lip like they did me in elementary school." She raised her hands. "Now if you want to be big lip, that's cool. Just let me know."

I smiled softly. She was funny. "Alright fine. Deal."

"Ah. She smiles. Well come on then. Let's go." Nafessa led the way to the first floor and towards the dead end of the school.

"You really were Janet's friend huh?" I questioned lowly.

She opened the door and let me out before asking. "Huh?"

"Janet. She let you ditch with her."

"How'd you know?"

I knew because Kenny, Janet and I all skipped from this hallway. I knew because Kenneth and I brought Janet here. Him and I found this spot sophomore year and ever since it had been our meetup point.

I settled simply as I climbed the gate. "We used to skip together."

"So the girl who was just a totally ass to you— used to be your friend?" She questioned as she climbed over it as well.

Nodding, I replied. "Yeah. Best friends."

"What happened to that?" Nafessa asked as we began walking to the parking lot.

"Our friendship or her niceness?" I questioned.

She shrugged. "Hell, both."

"She was really sweet once upon a time. Our other best friend Kenny, he kind of left a huge dent between us when he left." I explained skipping around huge facts.

"Oh. Okay. Yeah, I understand that."

"Where are you from? Texas?" I asked.

She looked at me as she unlocked her BMW. Damn, she must have money. "What gave me away?"

I got in the passenger seat as I replied. "The y'all in the restroom."

Nafessa laughed. "Damn it! But I was born in Alaska, stayed there until I was about 6. Then I moved to Austin til now."

"So why are you in Maryland?" I questioned.

"Mom got transferred to a hospital out here so here I am finishing out my senior year and in the east coast." She mused sarcastically.

"And what do you do to be in the arts?"

Our high school was Miles Davis School of the Arts. It was a performing arts high school. Everyone did something artistic. You had to audition to get in. Some people were legacies so they skipped audition process. People like me— we had to have the talent.

"Oh I act and play a mean Sax. You?" She asked me.

"I sing and draw." I studied her after I answered. "I wouldn't have guessed that you play the Saxophone. That's a difficult ass instrument."

She side eyed me. "I wouldn't have guessed that you sung. Also a difficult ass instrument."

I nodded. "True."